X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want ME to do about it?

A couple from the last few days, some SC stories, some MIM:

--The other day I had 2 coworkers tell me on two separate occasions that some SC yelled at them because the addition of groceries has caused the company to discontinue products all over the store (in order to cut down dept sizes, as we could not acutally make the building, which is attached to the mall, bigger). What did she expect the peons to do? The remodel is done; the store is not going back to the way it was. If she hates it so much, she can shop elsewhere.
    --An old guy today wanted to vent that the groceries are all the way in the back of the store. Well, so are other departments. He was able to walk perfectly, by the way. He was also upset that his EBT card didn't work. So I told him I'd had the same problem recently, and management said they could fix it. I didn't bother, as it was one 60-cent can of soup, so meh. I was offering him a solution, but he refused any help. He just wanted to whine.
    --A woman today came up and told me that even though she is very clearly of age, she is ok with being ID'ed for alcohol. She was upset that the cashier had asked to see her license, but scanned it, and now our company had her iinfo and could steal her identity. The suck is on several parts here. First, she's ignorant. If she has ever used any form of payment other than cash, her info has been stored. It's how we look up transactions. The second suck was that as I was trying to tell her that I do agree she should've been asked first if it was ok to scan it, my manager jumped in and told her it was the law, etc. Not true. We're not required by the state to scan licenses, just to check them if the person looks underage. I would've explained that, and that the alternative was to enter the birthdate, but that either way the computer is just looking for a birthdate. I could've gotten her a bit calmed down with some understanding--hey, if someone doesn't want it scanned, they should have the choice--and a promise to suggest we always ask first. But manager got her all riled up. Then, after the fact, manager kept saying the woman would have to argue with Congress. Um, what? There's no law that we have to scan. I kept saying over and over that the woman didn't have a problem with being ID'ed, just having her license scanned. Ugh. She's argumentative.
    --At one point I asked said argumentative manager if something went into [Team Lead's] bin, as that team lead had taken care of those kind of weird items for years. Well, I guess she doesn't anymore, but people have moved around so much lately, and honestly, manager knew which bin I was talking about. She didn't have to say "That's not [Team Lead's] bin." The customer in front of her looked at her like What's her deal? and I just said, "Well, whoever's bin that is...." and walked away. Honestly, I do genuinely like her, but some days she drives me nuts.
    --The guy who happened to be MOD got upset that I didn't leave the service desk right at 9:00 to go scan down the ad. I was watching the lanes until manager came back from break, then needed my last break. I got told to next time take it before 9:00. I was miffed because a) I don't make the break schedule and b) it's not my fault they couldn't communicate the fact that I was changing departments at some point. Yes, I can make sure next time, but I felt like they put the fault on me. Ugh.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

First off it sounds like you have some (not so) lovely (mis)managers there. A manager should calm a customer, not rile them up. I've had people complain about the 'OMGyouscannedmyIDnowyouhaveALLmyinfo' thing before. Really, seriously, people, it JUST gets your birth date. No, really. You didn't get signed up to any mailing lists or anything like that. I swear. As to the groceries/rearrangement of the store, what did the SCs expect you to do? Rearrange the store again? Oh...wait...yes, yes they did. Well, too bad for them. They can get used to it!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I never could figure out why SC's think that yelling at a cashier is somehow supposed to make said cashier jump through hoops to change something that's beyond their control.

Comment

Our recent renovation and ongoing projects to add more products have brought out a lot of SC activity for me and my team also. Overall, most people like the new fresh look and better selection but you always have those few.
        One woman complained to corporate in the form of a lengthy letter that each time we move stuff around, we make the store less handicap accessible and she DEMANDED they undo the complete renovation and put the store back as it was before. She stops in occasionally to ask me if they have set a date for us to be un-renovated, even though she's been told repeatedly by myself, my DM, and a corporate rep or two that we won't be doing that.
        Some folks just like to complain I think.
        I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

I've never had anyone scan my ID, just simply enter the date. I admit I'd be uneasy if someone scanned it, because I'd assume there's more info to be gleaned than just a date. But the way to respond to me is be calm and confident. Being accusatory or copping an attitude (rolling eyes, huffing) will just get me upset. You're absolutely right that your manager handled this wrong. In this day and age I realize my personal information is out there everywhere, but that doesn't mean I want to put even more out there.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Last year all the stores in my district got remodeled. People complained to me "I don't like the new store, change it back." and again to me (employee of store) "I can't find anything in the new setup!" instead of ya know asking me (employee of store) where to actually find something. I mean most of the time I'd ask what they were looking for and tried to direct them but sometimes they didn't want to bother.
            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

All those customers complaining about the remodel, didn't they also complain after the last remodel? And the one before that? And will be complaining after the next remodel? They should thank you for giving them something to complain about.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I think I know which chain to which you are referring, and I have to admit, I don't like the remodel. I don't really understand why they expanded with a low-profit margin category such as groceries when there are several much better grocery options close by. The expansion of groceries has made some of the other departments smaller (it's a small storefront to begin with), so the selection is not as good.

I don't complain, though - at least not to workers. I wrote a letter to corporate explaining why I will be shopping there less often, and I just go on my merry way shopping elsewhere.

Comment

--At one point I asked said argumentative manager if something went into [Team Lead's] bin, as that team lead had taken care of those kind of weird items for years. Well, I guess she doesn't anymore, but people have moved around so much lately, and honestly, manager knew which bin I was talking about. She didn't have to say "That's not [Team Lead's] bin." The customer in front of her looked at her like What's her deal? and I just said, "Well, whoever's bin that is...." and walked away. Honestly, I do genuinely like her, but some days she drives me nuts.
                  I've worked with some like that in computers. I say one thing, but the wrong terminology comes out... The coworker I'm with KNOWS exactly what I meant but decides to be a prick about it and either act like they don't know what I mean, or correct me in such a way that it's clear they think I'm stupid.

Times like that I just imagine them being cursed with hemorrhoids. ... cos it's not painful enough to kill, but at least they'll have a pain in the ass that matches how they act.

Comment

Working...
                  X