This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
    I live in PA, and I have never measured travel distance in the actual length, but by the hours, depending on the time of day.
    I usually quote by time, and not distance, and I live in PA, too.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Try driving in Ontario. Coming back to NYS once from Toronto, we kept getting turned around and couldn't figure out how we were going wrong. We finally got info at a gas station; turned out we had to take the highway labeled "East" even though we needed to go southwest. Eventually it circles around until you're going the right way to get back to the States. If we hadn't asked, though, we never would have figured it out. We'd probably still be driving around up there!
      Just curious, but what road was it? I know that going from Toronto to Niagra, you need to take the QEW westbound, then around Hamilton it wraps around the end of the lake and takes you eastbound, but I didn't know about one that started westbound then turned east to get to NYS.

Then there are I77 and I81 near Wytheville VA - for a few miles, the same piece of pavement is used by both highways, but travelling in opposite directions (i.e. I77 southbound is I81 northbound).

Quoth Sapphire Silk
      Silly girl, he was on SC time, not EST time (or PST in your case I think).
      I wouldn't be surprised if he had been on LSD or PCP.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Just curious, but what road was it? I know that going from Toronto to Niagra, you need to take the QEW westbound, then around Hamilton it wraps around the end of the lake and takes you eastbound, but I didn't know about one that started westbound then turned east to get to NYS.
        I thought about this for a bit and my guess is that they took 401 east to get to 427 south down to the QEW west which would take them to Niagara.

Comment

Minnesota.

Time, not distance.
          I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

When I lived in the LA area, I gave distances in time to get there. 20 miles could mean 20-25 minutes in good traffic, but I made a point of noting that those time scales only were good in good traffic.

In Salt Lake, I tend to give distances as blocks because of the way the city was planned.) It's a grid, and many streets are named for the number of blocks they are from Temple Square.

On the subject of confusing directions on roads, the street called 9th East is a north-south street. The line it represents within the grid system is nine blocks east of Temple Square, so it makes sense....after a while.

Once your brain stops thinking the "east" of "9th East" has anything to do with the direction of travel, that is. (I had trouble with this, and I'm from SLC.)
            Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM. Reason: adventures in terrible typing.
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
            X