X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mostly dumb with a side of suck

To the lady celebrating 60 years:
    OK, so you’re doing an anniversary ad in [other section] and you tell me they sent you info along with that dept's phone number to call…. And then you decide to call our number to ask questions about the type of photo they need…..can you please explain the logic to this, ‘cause it doesn’t make any sense to me??

To the guy wanting to place his brother's death notice:
    When I ask, where did the person die? – this is not a request for a biography. The correct answer is not, he was born here and he lived here for X years but then he retired and he moved out of town and he moved around the country like a nomad and…. No. Stop. I don’t need to know that. Just answer what I asked you: Did he die in this area or somewhere else?

When I tell you that I need the name & phone number of the funeral home or crematory, that is also a request for information. You don’t have it? His daughter has it? Then yes, yes, you will have to call her to get that information. Sorry for making so much work for you, I assumed that if you dialed our number, dialing someone else’s, such as your own niece’s, wouldn’t be too much to handle.

Note: I would have been much more sympathetic with this guy if he hadn't been snippy, snarky and condescending from the word "hello."

To the lady who wants to emulate Billy Graham:
    My dear, I hate to rain on your parade, but the Rev. DID NOT tell his loyal followers to place ads in newspapers, like the one he ran in the NY Times, repeating his political views! He asked people to vote for "candidates who support Biblical values" or some such phrasing. Chances are, the Rev. is well aware of the fact that, while his organization can afford the cost of a full page ad in the NY Times, most average folks would need smelling salts upon hearing the cost of such an ad, even in a much smaller paper.

A few from recent days:
    We send links via email so people can enhance their ads online. Swear to God, this one woman asked me: How are you going to send that email? I explained again. She said “But how are you going to send it? You’re going to mail it to me….?”
    Yes. She thought I was going to send something to her by postal mail.

Caller (note: coming in on dnotice line): Is this is the circulation dept?
    Me: This is classified advertising. I can transfer you to circulation…
    Caller: What’s the circulation dept #”
    Me: (recites their direct phone #)
    Caller: That number doesn’t do anything.
    Me: That is their number, ma’am. Let me connect you…
    Caller: That doesn’t help me…(hangs up as I start to transfer)
    I dialed their number as an outside call. Got connected immediately.

The correct answer to the question, “What’s the security code on the back of the card?” is NOT “I don’t use it.”

One last thought: Please don't name your kid "Addisynn." Please. Just don't.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

One last thought: Please don't name your kid "Addisynn." Please. Just don't.
    Oh good Lord, that's dreadful. I can practically smell the pretension.

Reminds me of a woman I used to have to work with. Her name was Molly*, pronounced just like you would think, but she spelled it m-o-l-é, complete with the accent above the 'e'. It wasn't an ethnic thing, because she was a white as you can get. She was also the most pretentious, stuck-up, condescending person I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.

*Not her real name.

Comment

Quoth julchen View Post
      Oh good Lord, that's dreadful. I can practically smell the pretension.

Reminds me of a woman I used to have to work with. Her name was Molly*, pronounced just like you would think, but she spelled it m-o-l-é, complete with the accent above the 'e'. It wasn't an ethnic thing, because she was a white as you can get. She was also the most pretentious, stuck-up, condescending person I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.

*Not her real name.
      Damn, I was gonna ask if she ever got teased for being named after a Mexican cooking sauce. (molé sauce)
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I bet she was a right mole, an all.
        Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
        It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Damn, I was gonna ask if she ever got teased for being named after a Mexican cooking sauce.
          You know, that occurred to me while I was writing my post, and I decided it was just so funny that I went ahead with it. It's just another reason for me to laugh at that stuck-up little cow.

Comment

How about the name Tiffany?

Spelt Typhanie

Or a cake I decorated, with the name of the child "Kalima"

Say it out loud... and tell me you don't want to raise your fist in rage, with a beating heart in it...

Bonus cookie points for the reference

Comment

Quoth lilnizzie View Post

Say it out loud... and tell me you don't want to raise your fist in rage, with a beating heart in it...

You have to then set it on fire.

If you just listened to that short Chinese kid, you would've lived longer.
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

How about the name Tiffany?

Spelt Typhanie
                That sounds too much like "Typhoid."

Ugh . . . whatever happened to traditional names?
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Reminds me of the time a friend and I went to this art fair, and they had school buses to shuttle people from the parking lot. On the bus we took, the kids had made name cards for themselves. One girl was named Takila.
                  "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                    Reminds me of the time a friend and I went to this art fair, and they had school buses to shuttle people from the parking lot. On the bus we took, the kids had made name cards for themselves. One girl was named Takila.
                    I think I know her parents: Mel and Mim Moqoinbaird

Comment

I once saw a nametag on a teenage girl with the name "Laurencha". Now, I think Laurentia would be an interesting name, and you could use Lauren if you didn't like the full name. But really? Phonetic spelling? Eeeesh.

I swear, if I had a kid I'd name it Taylor Tylor Tanner Topper Parker Porter Potter Dakota Blue...just to have everything "trendy" covered.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The worst name I ever saw was "Latrina". Really? You named your child a toilet?

Comment

If not for the heart, I'd say the remake of "Planet of the Apes" ("Calima" was a corruption of a warning on a crashed space station, all that was left of "Caution live animals").
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X