Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have to go to court for some scamming weirdo!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    For me 80% of the time they decide to forgo their hearing for a plea anyway. If you do go, be honest, and if you don't remember something, it's best to say "I don't recall."

Weird, I never thought about the way you part your hair as being suspicious in some way. Should I be worried my hair parts naturally in the middle?
    That's what happened the last time my jury duty group had to sit for a trial. The defendant ended up accepting the plea even before the jury of 12 had been whittled down to the required 6...

As for your hair - don't worry about it if you're not on the stand. In my case they wanted to make the charges stick (sexual assault against one of my friends). I briefly mentioned it today in this post. So... they were using the whole bag of tricks I think. They ended up not needing me past the original Article 32 hearing though, although they said I could prosecute him as well on my own on sexual harassment charges, but my friend won her case, and to me that was justice enough.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      4) and now to random advice... turn the phone off when you get to court, or leave it in the car altogether. At my local courthouse, if your phone goes off during the trial it's confiscated and donated to charity. (plus you'll have a very pissed off judge)
      HotelMinion is "near DC." If the trial is in the Arlington County Court House, they do not allow cell phones inside the Court House. If you bring it, you will have to put in a locker at the security area. When I had jury duty there, I left mine at home. Other jurisdictions have their own rules regarding cell phones.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My local courthouse states on the website for jury duty not to bring your smart phone in because of the camera. When I came back in from lunch break, I brought my phone because they don't appear to give a rat's ass about enforcing that rule.

But I definitely didn't have it on me until after I'd learned, first hand, that they didn't actually care so long as it wasn't out while in the courtroom.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I leave my phone in the car to avoid any mistakes. Only thing I bring in with me is my wallet, keys, and mini-purse. The mini-purse is empty, I just use it to stow the wallet and keys once I'm through the security check.

Comment

Quoth PhoneManager View Post
            The witnesses were also kept out of the courtroom during others' testimony, I imagine that would be boring.
            They're kept out so their testimony is not influenced by the testimony of other witnesses. Once you've testified, you can sit in the gallery and watch the trial, usually (unless you're subject to recall for rebuttal).

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Whether a deposition may be used in a civil or criminal case in the US is largely dependent upon the laws of the individual state. However, it's becoming more common that depositions are allowed in court for civil cases in particular, and more acceptable in criminal cases under specific circumstances, such as a witness turning hostile or being unavailable (sick, dead, out of the jurisdiction) by the time of the trial.

^-.-^
            Depositions can be used in replacement under very limited circumstances. Usually you have to be dead or nearly dead. If there is any way to bring the witness, you have to because in both civil and criminal cases the defendant has the Constitutional right to cross examine that witness.

Depositions aren't taken in case the witness isn't available. They're taken so the lawyers know what questions to ask during a trial. I've got a couple of depositions coming up (they keep rescheduling them) in two malpractice cases I'm testifying in as an expert witness. I've read through the depositions of the other witnesses, which has given me a lot of insight into what went on in those cases, and to what my own depo will be like.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Lots of excellent advice here. The only thing I'd add is that I'd bring a book (of short stories, LOL) since, as PhoneManager said, you'll almost certainly have to sit outside the courtroom until it's your turn to testify (after which, as Panacea said, you can likely stay in the courtroom and watch the rest of the trial, if you wish).

I was in court a couple of times in libel cases. The best way I can describe it is that the prosecution waltzes you in one direction, then the defence grabs you, spins you around, and dances you off in another direction (or vice-versa, depending on who you're testifying for).

Comment

Quoth depechemodefan View Post
                So what was the deal with the auth. code? Was that stolen too or your computer on your end easily tricked or the credit card machine defective?.
                While I don't use credit card machines, I'm guessing the auth code is an override that can be given by the card issuer that allows you to process the card anyway and that they are generated per occurance. In this case, it sounds like someone knew of a universal/default code that was probably put in during testing and never removed/changed. Just my guess though.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  Lots of excellent advice here. The only thing I'd add is that I'd bring a book (of short stories, LOL) since, as PhoneManager said, you'll almost certainly have to sit outside the courtroom until it's your turn to testify (after which, as Panacea said, you can likely stay in the courtroom and watch the rest of the trial, if you wish).

I was in court a couple of times in libel cases. The best way I can describe it is that the prosecution waltzes you in one direction, then the defence grabs you, spins you around, and dances you off in another direction (or vice-versa, depending on who you're testifying for).
                  I've only ever had to go to traffic court a few times (once for my car accident, once for expired inspection, once for expired tags), but in all instances, we were told NOT to bring any reading material into the courtroom. I personally didn't have any problem with that, after some thought. I rationalized it thusly: "I broke the rules, and opted to go to court instead of resolving the issues ahead of time. This is part of the punishment. I shall endure."

However, the OP's situation is different. So the rules may be different.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

[QUOTE=depechemodefan;1090451]So what was the deal with the auth. code? Was that stolen too or your computer on your end easily tricked or the credit card machine defective?

Our computer systems have a place where you type in the code you are given if for some reason you have to call in to get an authorization. The weird thing is that it will accept any numbers you put in and show the card as authorized. I only found this out because I had several cards that would not go through when I tried to submit the credit card batch. I thought it was a glitch in the system, but when I called the company that handles our credit card batches they said that what was happening was that when the message came up to call in for an authorization the desk clerks were just typing in numbers and calling it good.
                    At first I thought, they can't be dumb enough to do that. But after we posted a memo about it it never happened again. So maybe this guy/girl knew about that loophole and used it to get a free room.
                    "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

As one who works in a court house, may I throw in my two cents?

Call the prosecutor and ask what it is that you will need to testify about. Do not ask "what do you want me to say" as the prosecutor usually will just answer "the truth" since anything else can be taken as the prosecutor putting words in your mouth.

Tell the prosecutor what it is you remember and answer truthfully whatever the prosecutor asks as follow up questions. The prosecutor also will be able to tell you what s/he expects the defense will ask or what the defense might be.

Then be calm and remember to be polite to both attorneys and to stick to only what you actually remember or know for a fact about what happened. If you do not understand a question, say that you do not understand it. The attorneys will repeat or rephrase the question. DO NOT EVER speculate about something you do not know. "I don't know" or "I do not recall" are legitimate, valid answers. You are a witness only, so do not worry about how your testimony will be used - and do not try to "outsmart" the defense attorney by evading a question or making a snide answer. You do not want the jury to think you have some sort of vendetta/agenda or are being less that truthful in what you say.

You will be fine. Actually, you probably will discover that once the defendant sees you are there and that the trial really is going to happen, he suddenly will be interested in taking a plea.
                      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                        You will be fine. Actually, you probably will discover that once the defendant sees you are there and that the trial really is going to happen, he suddenly will be interested in taking a plea.
                        What South Texan said. All great tips.

And the last bit was my experience the one time I actually had to show up to court to testify in a DUI case (got enough subpoenas to wallpaper my bathroom, but only had to actually show up once). The defendant took one look at me sitting in the courtroom, and took a plea deal. Didn't have to testify

The look on his face was priceless. I think he was banking on me not showing up for court, because the blood alcohol draw results would have been thrown out (I drew the blood and would have had to testify to procedures and chain of custody), and he would have walked on the charge.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I got something very similar only a few weeks ago, except that mine was a sexual crime and I had got information for the police.

Thankfully my guy took the plea and the case didn't go to court.

The only advice I can add to the above is that, at least in Australia, you might only have an hour's warning of the time they want you in court. Find out how long the trial is likely to last (see if the respective court has a website and the list is there, or check with the prosecution) and make sure you don't arrange a holiday or any travel over that time just in case.
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                            Quoth Panacea View Post
                            And the last bit was my experience the one time I actually had to show up to court to testify in a DUI case (got enough subpoenas to wallpaper my bathroom, but only had to actually show up once). The defendant took one look at me sitting in the courtroom, and took a plea deal. Didn't have to testify
                            What they said. The most important part of the whole thing is for you to show up: many defenses are based around witnesses not showing. When they show up, suddenly plea bargains are made.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'm a little less nervous about it now. The hotel did review the security footage, but there's a blind spot where it doesn't capture. He was there.
                              They have me a number to call for witnesses so I will be calling. Hopefully everything turns out alright.
                              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                              X