This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least they're being honest...

We've been getting hammered with robocalls from "Rachel of Card Services". Another one just came in...

Same number, and the CID said simply "Telemarketer". I can truly say I'd never seen that one before...well, technically they're now being truthful so maybe they think that makes it 'legal'.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

They have to be. The FTC has new, more stringent requirements for telemarketers, including giving an option to hit something to opt out of future calls from them. So while they may not stop, at least we can screen them better!

Comment

yeah but whenever i use that option i only get MORE calls.

the calls tend to taper off and stop when I simply hang up and block the number.
      and then report to the FCC & FTC

ain't like I haven't told "card services" several times to stop so... obviously they don't give a flying fuck about the DNC.

although... ooo...
      http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/09/econrelief.shtm

The Federal Trade Commission is mailing refund checks to 4,468 consumers nationwide who allegedly were defrauded by a telemarketer who used robocalls to pitch worthless credit card rate reduction programs for an up-front fee. Each consumer will receive a check for between $31 and $1,300, based on how much money he or she lost in the scam.
      that might explain why i've had less calls from them in the past few months. maybe they can't afford to call people while they're busy paying up on refunds...
      Last edited by PepperElf; 10-24-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

The 'press 1 to stop further calls' is about as useful as unsubscribe links on spam email

Blocking a number only works until they get a new one Our ISP gives the ability to block calls based on the Caller ID field (I think; I know we can block any calls that come up as "Anonymous", but mom refuses to do that as she has friends who block their numbers)...but I don't know if they charge for that (they better not, with what we're paying).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We got one of those calls a while back that said SCAM in the name field. ...... At least they were honest about it.

Most of these companies do not give a rats butt about the DNC list. the numbers they use for the Caller ID are spoofed. as in if you dial them back most of the time you will get a "This number is not in service" message. and they seem to be using VIOP. It is really hard to trace the calls back to a specific place or company (not impossible but difficult).

The FTC may be cracking down but that crack down has a LONG way to go.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            We've been getting hammered with robocalls from "Rachel of Card Services". Another one just came in...

Same number, and the CID said simply "Telemarketer". I can truly say I'd never seen that one before...well, technically they're now being truthful so maybe they think that makes it 'legal'.
            Oh, you know Rachel too! How is she? I haven't heard from her in a bit, she used to call me practically every day. Gee, wonder how she's doing.

I actually had one that said telemarketer on caller ID as well, quite a shock to be actually warned in advance.

Won't be hearing from Rachel or her pals in future, have decided to finally give up the home phone and just have cells. Everyone we know calls our cells. We get maybe one call a month that isn't a telemarketer on the home phone. I'm tired of paying for people to call to sell me stuff I don't want. Definitely better uses for the money I've paid for home phone. The first month the money will go for car cell phone chargers, so even in a power outage I can charge my cell (one reason to keep the home phone was emergencies involving power outages). Then it's just extra money - maybe better phones & a good data plan.....

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
              Won't be hearing from Rachel or her pals in future, have decided to finally give up the home phone and just have cells.
              Rachel calls cell phones too. My mom and I once got calls from Rachel at the exact same time on our cells.

Comment

That's because Rachel isn't even in the US, and thus, not actually constrained by US law.

Which is why adding your number to the do not call list and being unlisted won't do a damn thing to keep her or her friends from calling.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                  Rachel calls cell phones too. My mom and I once got calls from Rachel at the exact same time on our cells.
                  during the last month or so my cell phone has been carpet bombed with these type of calls at ALL times of the day. It really pisses me off when they call during the afternoon as I am sleeping in prepation for work.

most of the last batch of calls supposedly come from Orgean or Washington state.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    That's because Rachel isn't even in the US, and thus, not actually constrained by US law.

Which is why adding your number to the do not call list and being unlisted won't do a damn thing to keep her or her friends from calling.

^-.-^
                    Well, that and scamsters don't really follow the law anyway. The new FTC suggestion is to just hang up on any sales robocall, since they are breaking the law just by calling.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                      They have to be. The FTC has new, more stringent requirements for telemarketers, including giving an option to hit something to opt out of future calls from them. So while they may not stop, at least we can screen them better!
                      I'd rather curse them out. More satisfying.
                      If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

I only have cell phones but I get robocalls every day. I don't pick up unless I know the number. They also text me. Bastards.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You may also want to consider those wrist bound charging station things that I think run on batteries, and I *think* would be able to charge your cell.
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

She called me today as well, which was a bit of a break from the political robocalls for state ballot propositions that I had been getting.

Comment

Working...
                            X