This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for fleeing from a robber.

Ohio fast food employee is fired for fleeing from a robber.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Ok so she was at the store after hours very late completely on her own after having been previously warned not to and told she'd be fired if she did. No reason given for why she's there that late, also if the store is closed how did he get in?
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I think there's a lot more to this story that's not printed.

she claims she was closing up, but the article says she was there "long" after hours. So it makes one wonder just what she was doing there when she was already on her last strike for it.... and just how long after hours had she remained.

As for the robber, I can only wonder whether or not he would have hit that location had she not been there after hours. If it was obvious that she was there alone, it may have made the place more of a target since it would also mean the money might not be put away yet, etc.

Comment

I'll not get into it too much, but someone being alone, especially after closing, is a security risk. I've had employees get hurt and one even killed because of stupid stuff like that.

Misleading headline aside, I'm glad that she is okay, but it could have been much worse. If you're alone after closing (and you shouldn't be to begin with) and someone comes to the door, you don't let them in. Who was she expecting to visit her after she sent all of her employees home?

At any place I managed, the employee would have been fired after the first robbery, unless the manager couldn't prove that they had tried to enforce the rules against working alone after hours. Then, I would have given both of them a final warning. Gone after the second time for sure.

Comment

Nice misleading headline on that article.

When I worked in stores, if the manager had to stay late for any reason, at least one person had to stay with them. If it was a scheduled thing (carpet cleaning or something that was done overnight), they would schedule at least two people (who would do shelving or something while the work was being done). If it was for some unexpected reason, they would usually ask for a volunteer stick around, and if they stayed long enough they would cut the time from that person's next shift. (I stayed once and came in half an hour late the next day.)
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You know I'm kinda wondering now....

“She had been warned in the past and had received a written warning that if she did it again she would be terminated,” Gray explained, saying that the policy was to preserve employee safety.
            Did those warnings coincide with the previous robberies? I mean I'm just guessing here but... it makes me wonder if the company saw a trend of "manager stays way too late; store gets robbed" and decided to nip it in the bud.

Misleading headline aside, I'm glad that she is okay, but it could have been much worse. If you're alone after closing (and you shouldn't be to begin with) and someone comes to the door, you don't let them in. Who was she expecting to visit her after she sent all of her employees home?
            This is something I've wondered too. Perhaps the company thought of it as well... that either she hadn't locked the doors, or that she'd let him in. Either way of course looks bad on her.

Comment

It sounds to me like she may have been an accomplice.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
              X