This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appointment Went Awry

Back in May I had a procedure done called Adiana, which was supposed to make me sterile. The only catch is it takes awhile to be effective so I had to use an alternate firm of birth control plus go in after 3 months for additional testing to see if it worked or not.

Due to life and such I wasn't able to get in until earlier this week to have it done, so it was more like 5 months after the procedure I had the follow up testing done.

My insurance company offers transportation to and from appointments so I used that service to get there. On the way the driver tells me he has to pick up someone else. We go to the person's house, and they don't come out. So the driver calls them a couple times, honks his horn and we eventually leave.

I get to the hospital right at the scheduled time for my appointment. I was actually supposed to be there 15 minutes early, but obviously that didn't happen.

I had to go to the outpatient lab first to have a urine pregnancy test done. So I went and did that, then went over to Radiology where the test was to be performed.

I told the receptionist while I was there and she told me I was late for my appointment. I apologized and told her that I was a bit late due to my ride and that I'd just been to the outpatient lab to do the pregnancy test. She then tells me that I'm actually early because all of the labs take an hour to run and get results back.

No problem, I sit down and wait. An hour goes by, my results aren't updated in the computer. She calls the lab, lab has no idea what is going on. So she waits awhile longer, and calls them back multiple times but gets the runaround from them, they are transferring her all over the place and refusing to be helpful.

So she asks for a supervisor, who is not available. The supervisor finally. calls her back and offers no help or explanation either, but says to call back in 5 minutes. The receptionist calls back multiple times, and each time gets no word on my results, but I knew things weren't looking good when the receptionist started muttering under her breath about how ridiculous, unbelievable and unacceptable the whole situation was.

The receptionist finally had to call the supervisor's supervisor and we finally got my lab results back after 2 hours and 45 minutes. (Remember it was only supposed to take an hour). For some reason they put a note with my urine test saying it was to be processed at a later date, which is actually against hospital policy, pregnancy tests are to be run STAT.

The receptionist was super nice and apologetic. I told her that it was ok, and I completely understood, and that it wasn't her fault, she was just the messenger in all of this. As an apology the receptionist had the lab and radiology each give me a $10 gift card (so $20 total) gift card to be used in either the cafeteria and/or gift shop. I didn't ask for anything and tried to refuse but they insisted.

I went back and had the test done which was painful. It was like a regular pap/smear pelvic except they had to wash my cervix, and then shove more equipment up there to try and fill my uterus with dye and see if it ran through my fallopian tubes or if they were blocked. Then while all this crap was inside me I had to lay and move around to various positions so a machine could take pictures. It sucked and I found out the procedure was only partially effective. One tube is completely blocked and the other is only partially blocked. So now I have to decide if I want to undergo another test in a couple months to find out if more scar tissue has formed and blocked the other tube, or if I want to skip straight to a tubal ligation, which is what I'm strongly leaning towards doing.

So even though the day kinda sucked, I wound up with $20, and bought myself supper and dessert. I also picked up snacks and a drink for my husband and kids with one gift card, then used the other on a stuffed animal for my daughter. All told I wound up spending over 4 hours at the hospital when the whole process should've taken an hour and a half or so.

I've actually been thinking of doing the Adiana thing, myself. Sorry to hear you didn't get a complete seal on the one side.

I suspect that a few people are going to have some additional training in the very near future. Situations where gifts are given out usually don't get swept under the carpet.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Awry" doesn't begin to cover it! I can understand if some preg tests are deferred, and others aren't, but if they NEVER are, how does that happen? Very strange.
      And I actually scrolled up to see if there was a location in your header info - I've never heard of a hospital being apologetic about making people wait around! And to put money where their mouth is on top of it. Too nice. Glad you got some consolation out of the wait.

Comment

Keep up the contraception. Both my brother and I came out of 'blocked' tubes.

(Natural blockage, not an intentional sterilisation. But Mum was thought to be effectively sterile from the scarriing - yet she has two kids.)

So yeah, until you get a test saying it's fully blocked: assume you could have me.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

So yeah, until you get a test saying it's fully blocked: assume you could have me.
          But you're so awesome! Who wouldn't want to have you?
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I had that test done, only for me it was to see if my fallopian tubes were open, and it is excruciating. I very nearly passed out from the pain.
            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I had the same test done six months after my uterine rupture to see if the uterus was totally intact. When the test came back that it was I was told to wait another 6 months and then I could try to get pregnant. I remember how painful it was

Comment

Oh goodness that is a painful procedure! I had it done to check for blockages as well and my hubby could hear me scream down the hall. Who needs to walk for the rest of the day anyway?

I'm glad the receptionist was able to get your stuff sorted out without oo much issue.

Comment

Yeah I've given birth to 3 kids 2, without any type of pain meds and I was still surprised by how painful it was. I have an appointment with my doctor on November 4th, and I'm hoping he agrees to just go ahead with a tubal, because I really don't want to have to go through that test again. At least with a tubal, they'd put me to sleep first so I wouldn't be awake, while they're poking around inside me.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                    But you're so awesome! Who wouldn't want to have you?
                    Awwww.

... but you could also have my brother ....
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                    X