This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Calm It Down, Guys

I didn't witness the event, but I saw the aftermath.

We have a regular customer who comes in for cigarettes (ours are super cheap, apparently). One night recently, she sent her two children in to buy her cigarettes. One child is of age, but the other is a minor. So this in itself is a gamble, because (as she found out) some locations will ask for both IDs in case it seems like a suspicious sale.

As it happened, my manager was cashiering when the customer's children came up to buy cigarettes. The minor made the mistake of saying what cigarettes they wanted, so my manager asked to see both their IDs. Since one child was a minor, the sale was refused and (I'm assuming) my manager bid them adieu.

Well, cue customer coming in with fire in her eyes, demanding to see a manager. She stalked up to me and said, "If you're smart, you'll get your manager right now."

Shocked, I went to the only manager in the store, the one who had refused the sale.

After asking if she was the only manager available, the custom proceeded to verbally tear into my manager, accusing her of being rude to her kid. My manager said she wasn't rude, and tried to explain herself, but the customer would have none of it. She eventually left, after threatening to speak to corporate.

I felt awful for my manager, because she can come across as a bit rude, but it's simply her personality. She also had no choice, because from her standpoint, a minor was attempting to buy tobacco, which is a HUGE no-no.

The customer came back a few days later to purchase her own cigarettes and was in a much better mood. I was just happy that the manager in question was not on the sales floor when this customer came back.

Seriously, what a moron. I'm surprised it surprised her in any way that sending her kids in to buy cigs didn't work. Especially with one being underage.

Comment

Does that idiot woman still think it's 20 years ago and kids can just come in and buy their parents' smokes for them?
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
        Does that idiot woman still think it's 20 years ago and kids can just come in and buy their parents' smokes for them?
        Evidently. Some people have no sense.

Heh, when I was a kid we used to do that for my mom at this little mom-n-pop store down the block. They knew we weren't smoking them ourselves. But that's not how it works anymore. Mom in the OP really wasn't thinking.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Go ahead and call corporate. They take a dim view of being fined and possibly losing the ability to sell tobacco. So please, tell corporate how the big bad employee rudely refused a sale to a minor child.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            35-40 years ago I used to go to the corner store and buy my mom's cigs with just a hand written note. By the time I had kids old enough to go to a store you couldn't do that anymore dammit
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
              We have a regular customer who comes in for cigarettes (ours are super cheap, apparently). One night recently, she sent her two children in to buy her cigarettes. One child is of age, but the other is a minor. So this in itself is a gamble, because (as she found out) some locations will ask for both IDs in case it seems like a suspicious sale.

As it happened, my manager was cashiering when the customer's children came up to buy cigarettes. The minor made the mistake of saying what cigarettes they wanted, so my manager asked to see both their IDs. Since one child was a minor, the sale was refused and (I'm assuming) my manager bid them adieu.
              I can just imagine the scene if on a future occasion, the mother sends only the older child, and that child mentions that they're getting the cigarettes for their mother. Of course, that's admitting they're doing a 3rd-party purchase - "No cigarettes for you". After all, 3rd-party purchases are illegal.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

When I was a kid my dad used to send me for smokes. Small town, everybody at the store knew me, knew Dad, and knew the smokes were his.

World's a little different, now.

Now, as a convenience store manager, I can turn somebody down for a cigarette or tobacco sale in terms that are just short of abusive, and not get into any trouble at all.

Loss of a tobacco license and fines are a bigger deal than one or two whiners.
                I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                  When I was a kid my dad used to send me for smokes. Small town, everybody at the store knew me, knew Dad, and knew the smokes were his.
                  Same here, although for good measure, my dad would always call the store first and let them know he was sending me.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                  X