Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you've ever handled a penny, the government's got your DNA!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you've ever handled a penny, the government's got your DNA!!!!!

This isn't exactly a sucky sighting but it was just kind of strange...
    I was at Michael's the other day and the gentleman in front of me bought something totalling 20.01 $. He checks his pockets, but alas, no coins, and his wallet is more of a billfold with no change compartments. So he says 'Oh well, I guess I will get some change" and starts to take a 10$ bill out of his wallet. Now, in Canada, this means he is going to end up with a 5 dollar bill, 2 2$ coins and then 99 cents, which is a pretty hefty mittful of change.

So I dip into my bottomless tickle-trunk of a purse and grab a penny, saying 'Oh no, don't do that. Here, I have a penny"
    Well the guy was just completely gobsmacked. He says "Oh no no no, I couldn't".
    Me: "It's fine. Look (shake my giant gypsy bag at him) I have tons of change. It's just a penny!"
    Him: No, no, it's my own fault, I should have had a penny.

So, at this point, I'm not sure what to do. I mean, I'm trying to be nice, so I certainly don't want to stress the poor guy out, but this is just silliness. So I finally set the penny on the counter and say "Ok, well, it's here if you need it."
    He finally accepts it and thanks me so profusely I was starting to get a little freaked out.

Are people just so used to rudeness and apathy that a tiny nice gesture just completely throws them off? I honestly think he would have been more comfortable with me huffing and sighing and tapping my fingers to hurry him along than he was with me trying to lend a hand.
    Silly people.
    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Some people are just very uncomfortable taking any kind of monetary help, even something as small as a penny. I've handed a co-worker 15 or 20 cents when she was short paying for lunch a couple of times and told her not to worry about it...it's 15 freaking cents!...but she always paid it back. I appreciate that she didn't take it for granted, but still... So, I'm guessing this guy was like that. Probably had it drummed into his head from birth that you always, always pay your own way in full.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It's a nice thought and I would appreciate it, but others apparently don't.

Personally, I'll be glad when the penny is gone next year.

Comment

I pay back small change loans, too. It's the principle, I guess, even if it's 25 cents.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
        X