This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post

As for an ice col' co-cola...? You say that as if there are other words for "coke" aside from "soft drink", that people actually use
    You mean fizzy drink!

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Pens? Oh! Ohhh! You must mean "ink pens"!

...As opposed to "fountain pens" -- locally, anyway...
    Well, you mean ballpoints. As opposed to Vivids (NOT Sharpies) or felts (or as they call them in Aussie, Textas) XD
    Last edited by rapana1; 11-17-2012, 12:43 AM. Reason: adding stuff
    Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
    It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Quoth rapana1 View Post
      Well, you mean ballpoints. As opposed to Vivids (NOT Sharpies) or felts (or as they call them in Aussie, Textas) XD
      I think Texta is also another brand name.

I personally use "markers" although my kids have connector pens.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

What you got there ain't no chesterfield. That there's a davenport.

That's from my dad, and his father before him, and his parents before that.

Also, what you got there is a regionalism. That's why my family calls it "pop," "chesterdrawers," and "davenport."

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          My mother was the worst at this and it drove me crazy. Movies were always "pictures" and a phone was a "telephone" and the fridge was always a "fridgidair" and the couch for some odd reason was always called a "chesterfield".

*snip*
          Was your mother Canadian, perchance, or did she have Canadian relatives? I ask because 'chesterfield' is that big stuffed thing you sit on in livingrooms throughout Canada -- with the possible exception of border cities, where it is often miraculously transformed into a 'sofa'. I can't seem to find any explanation for why it's called this over here.

Quoth Zoom View Post
          It's just a thing some people do. Why, I was only grokking about it yester-day with some citizen as I tested out my bumbershoot whilst I transferred my portmanteau to the other mitt. But I was drowned out by the sound of an aeroplane.

Kind regards.

Comment

Speaking of chesterfield, there a brand of cigarettes called Chesterfields.

In 1939, the late great actor and comic W. C. Fields lost a lot of money because of his penchant for puns. Fields' radio show was sponsored by Lucky Strike Cigarettes. The CBS program and his $7,500 a week salary were cancelled when, on the air, he continued to refer to his son Chester.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              Was your mother Canadian, perchance, or did she have Canadian relatives? I ask because 'chesterfield' is that big stuffed thing you sit on in livingrooms throughout Canada -- with the possible exception of border cities, where it is often miraculously transformed into a 'sofa'. I can't seem to find any explanation for why it's called this over here.
              No she was not Canadian, her mother wasn't either, her parents MIGHT have been but not sure. I really don't know where she picked it up.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                Speaking of chesterfield, there a brand of cigarettes called Chesterfields.
                Hence my reference (post #27 this thread) to smoking the other kind of Chesterfield.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  Hm, it was a commonplace when I was a kid, sure. Not really these days. Couch or sofa, depending on region (maybe).

My parents are both from Alberta. Dad says 'warsh', Mom doesn't. My brothers and I certainly don't, we say 'laundry', because that's what 'warsh' means. Dad doesn't 'warsh' his hands, he actually says it 'wash'. Dad is weird.

And on the carbonated beverage issue, 'pop' is the go-to word, but people do generally specify which brand they want, it's not all 'coke' or 'soda'. Soda's mostly used for the stuff you mix with whiskey - club soda or soda-water.
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                  X