X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stories from the taco emporium

A sour cream surprise

Had a guy the night before last whose order got made incorrectly (an ingredient was left off) and this happened just before the store closed. He came back about five minutes after the store was already closed and wanted a refund, which they were unable to give to him as the money was already pulled out of the drawers and locked in the safe. They offered him the following options:

1.) We will remake your burrito for you right now, as the money was pulled but the kitchen wasn't yet disassembled.

2.) We will leave your name and number for the store manager, who will be able to give you a refund in the morning.

3.) We will write your name down and replace your food at an unspecified point in the future, since you ate half of it before noticing the missing ingredient and don't want another one right now.

The customer, naturally, wouldn't be here if they chose one of those options. Instead they chose option 4: Unwrap the burrito, open it up so it'll splatter nicely, and throw it against the outside of our dining room window as he roared away. Which the night crew did not notice because it was already dark and they were doing their closing tasks, so guess who got to clean frozen beans and sour cream off the outside of our dining room window in the snow the next morning? I'm so lucky.

You can't hear? You must be stupid.

When we take orders, we take people's names, and call out when your food is done. A couple of weeks ago one of my coworkers got someone's name really, really wrong. Imagine that the customer was a man named David, and she wrote down Kathy. Naturally he didn't come to get his food when I called out Kathy, so I checked with the order taker who pointed out where he was sitting, and I walked over with the food.

He started yelling at me because she heard his name wrong. "She wrote down Kathy? My name is not Kathy! Is she a retard? She must be a retard, to write down Kathy! Why do you let a retard take orders?"

I guess not hearing makes you stupid now. Who knew? I have hearing loss so I must have been "a retard" for years without knowing it. I frostily asked him to stop using that language and walked away. I told my coworker (young person, first job) that she never has to wait on him again and she can walk away if she sees him come in. My boss was not in that day, but when I told her the story, she told me if he ever comes in again she would like me to point him out so she can ban him from the store.

Every day since the dawn of time

We have some regular customers, naturally, and a lot of them are older, and some of them eat at our location not only daily, but multiple times a day. There is this one couple in particular who has eaten lunch with us every day since the dawn of time. They come in later, after the lunch rush has died off, and sit for an hour or so.

They were in last week and one of my more capable coworkers was waiting on them. He rang up an item as chicken [taco] and the female half of the couple argued with him because the people who usually take the order, who are generally newer, because 2 pm is when you put new people on the register, ring up a regular [taco] minus meat plus chicken. You get the same thing, but the way B was doing it costs about 30 cents less. He tried to explain that it would save them money, but she insisted he ring it up the more expensive way because "That's how you're supposed to do it!" Then she demanded her senior discount.

Quoth luckythegiraffe View Post
    Who knew? I have hearing loss so I must have been "a retard" for years without knowing it.
    Another 'retard' here

Kudos to your boss for the ban threat.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I have hearing loss so I must have been "a retard" for years without knowing it.
      And here's another
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

So to put it another way, burrito guy's options were:

1) Get free food which you can then stuff in the fridge and save for later if you want.

2) Get exactly what you asked for, just with a few hours of waiting.

3) Get what's essentially the promise of a free meal when next you feel the need for one.

4) Behave like a 2 year old and risk arrest, and possibly a fine or jail time for defacing someone's property, as well as a ban from the restaurant.

Yeah makes perfect sense why he'd go for the last one, don't it?

Comment

she insisted he ring it up the more expensive way because "That's how you're supposed to do it!" Then she demanded her senior discount.
          Did the senior discount come to 30 cents or more?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Did the senior discount come to 30 cents or more?
            Most likely. It's a percentage and I'm sure they spent over $3. But they could have saved the 30 cents AND gotten the discount, instead of paying an extra 27 cents.

Comment

With the first story, I would have taken option 5 since it was so close to closing. Explain the situation, ask for a side of sour cream and leave.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Most likely. It's a percentage and I'm sure they spent over $3. But they could have saved the 30 cents AND gotten the discount, instead of paying an extra 27 cents.
                Facepalm. Sometimes the regulars are the most trouble.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                X