Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't lie -- I use a lot of words that you can't say on TV. But I at least try to not to do it where I'm not supposed to. I can't say I'm perfect -- I've been warned once or twice about it at work. I can't see how anyone can work on computers and not drop an f-bomb once in awhile, but I try to keep a lid on it, and I haven't heard any complaints lately, so I guess I'm doing OK.

My ex, on the other hand, would just let loose anytime and anywhere. She wouldn't even try to keep a lid on it. I remember one time I picked my son up at her place, during one of the few visits we had planned and she was actually there and on time for. He was about three at the time, so I really didn't want people using bad language about him, especially after he repeated one of my driving rants awhile back. She had just gotten into an argument with her boyfriend, and was telling me about it while she had our son on her lap and was putting his shoes on. Not that I really gave a rat's ass about it, but I was stuck listening to it until she finished getting him ready.

Then, with him right there in her lap, she announced, "He's an asshole and he can go fuck himself!"

Real classy there, Mother of the Year!
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I started using "Sugar Honey Iced Tea!" as a stand-in swear at the wholesale club for when I banged myself against something and hurt myself. Also, "Fah" (as in "Ffffffffaaaaaahhhh-ck!" only without the "-ck" at the end).
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Sarthor View Post
        I do agree that you should not swear at all in places where children are around but I really disagree that swearing has anything to do with the extent of a persons vocabulary..
        I agree, but you're right that it makes them SEEM less intelligent. I try to get creative myself. And in familiar company, sure, but this was a big, angry woman in public letting loose without concern for others. That's what I was most upset about, that she would be making others uncomfortable.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Sarthor View Post
          I do agree that you should not swear at all in places where children are around but I really disagree that swearing has anything to do with the extent of a persons vocabulary.
          I have to agree with this. Blanket-statements that someone has no vocabulary (or suggestions that they have no intelligence) are more along the lines of personal opinions rather than actual facts.

There are some who fit that description, yes. However there are plenty of people who don't match that stereotype.

Comment

I remember my Supervisor used to rather dislike swear words, And we had a regular customer who would always get an English Breakfast tea. And when my supervisor asked him if he was getting anything other than the usual, he said "No, just the fucking tea" (not even aggressive or pissed off, just out of nowhere). And my supervisor said "fucking tea? I've been giving you English Breakfast this whole time!"

Apparently he hadn't even realized what he said, and turned red and was very apologetic. That was usually the manner we would try to deal with it. I remember one "gangster" white kid asked "what kind of fuckin sandwiches you got" and I had to reply "Well, we don't have any fucking sandwiches, but if you like I could make two sandwiches and put one on top of the other and we can see what happens"

Personally, I watch my swearing depending on my surroundings, but when I do use them it's usually in conjunction with some other take "swear" word, for contrast, (for example "fuckin gosh golly") or in a larger spiel with better literary devices, just used to join up words for effect. Personally I think I use them too often, so I tend to avoid them when writing blog posts and stuff of that nature, because it just reeks of unprofessional. ( make exceptions for my rant posts, though)

Comment

Working...
            X