Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Tales: Aggravation Edition (LONG)

Some of these tales are from a week or two ago, I just didn't get around to posting them.

Signs

The time is approximately 9:00AM. I am trying to assist the breakfast attendant with shutting down breakfast during a busy time. I surreptitiously shut down the juice machine. I put the cereal bowls away, and take the milk to the back.

I return to the breakfast area, and notice that a "man" is filling a bowl of cereal. He notices the lack of milk, and informs me of this.

Me: I'm sorry, it's after 9, and we have started to take down breakfast.

(Please note that ATT the Waffle maker is still on (people are waiting to use it) and the bagels, donuts, mini-muffins, and bread are still out.)

This "man" roughly places the bowl on the counter, and goes back to his family, saying that "He's not allowed to have breakfast," because we're shutting down. I pointed at the signs that clearly set the Breakfast Hours of 6AM-9AM.

By this time, the Waffle maker is unoccupied, so I move in and shut it off. I then inform the attendant, who is doing some clean-up tasks in the back, that she could probably take down the rest of breakfast.

Then, (I admit that I was looking for an argument), I went and politely informed the "man" and his family that there was still food available, if they were still hungry.

The "man", rather condescendingly, stated that he didn't want to keep us from shutting down breakfast. A woman than says that I don't know anything about customer service, that all he was asking for was some milk, it wasn't like he was asking for me to make more waffle batter.

I informed her that when I put the cereal away, i had put the bowls away, and that he must have gone into the cabinet to get them.

She says that when the came down at 8AM there were no paper plates, and they had to get them.

(My brain wasn't completely functioning after a long night, so I didn't call them on it, but not long after I finished the conversation, I made the connection.)

They said that they were all (6 of them at the table) managers, and that I needed to learn customer service. They also informed me that they wouldn't stay here again.

Honesty

My GM was checking in a person. Now, at the desk, after some experience, you have a tendency to be able to spot SOME difficult customers right off the bat. He identified this woman as one of them. He over-quoted the rate to her, because he didn't really want her to stay.

However, she was proceeding with the reservation, and my GM asked her if she had any pets. He had noted an odor about her, and was suspicious. She said no.

He went above and beyond what we normally mention to guests without pets about our "Pet Policy" because he was still suspicious. She continued to insist she did not have any pets.

He pointed out the clause on the Reg. card that says we charge $250 if you have an undeclared pet in the room. She finally admits she has a pet. Actually 3 pets.

My GM refused to sell her a room at that point.

Refund

Had guest come up to the desk around midnight to check out of his room. He claimed that he had been awakened by the manager and the police telling him he must keep down the noise.

I informed him that I could check him out, but I could not provide a refund, that he would have to talk to the manager about that. He said that he would call.

When I talked to the GM, he informed me that they had been rowdy, and after they had been told by him and our Security to keep it down, they started REALLY going wild, including breaking down the sealed door to our courtyard area and hanging off the balcony.

No refund for you.

Late

A woman had booked a room for 2 nights. She called around midnight on the night she was supposed to arrive, saying she needed to change the reservation to 1 night, as she wasn't going to make it due to car trouble.

She was informed that our cancellation policy was by 6PM on day of arrival, and that she would be charged for the 1st night.

She informed us that her car trouble had occurred at 8PM.

She was charged for the 1st night.

~FIN~

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Regarding the milk guy, the milk was already put away in the back. As a matter of fact, the bowls and cereal were put away too, but milk guy opened the cabinets and brought them out. Upon being told that breakfast was shutting down, he immediately got upset and started acting like a child.

Hotel workers are trying to take care of 100 things at once and when breakfast gets shut down, it happens quickly. Otherwise they'll be running to get milk for the next guy who wants a favor, and the woman who needs juice for her child, and please clean up the mess they just made, again and again and again. It never ends and that's why hotels stop breakfast at a certain time and that's it. Otherwise they'll never be able to stop breakfast, or clean up or even help other guests.

As for the car breakdown, my understanding from other posts on this site is that it's a common excuse for why someone no-shows. Even if it wasn't, she waited to call until midnight and the hotel was holding a room for her, which they probably can't resell. That's why they charged her.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      As for the car breakdown, my understanding from other posts on this site is that it's a common excuse for why someone no-shows. Even if it wasn't, she waited to call until midnight and the hotel was holding a room for her, which they probably can't resell. That's why they charged her.
      Not only that, but what garage is open and repairing cars after 8PM? She had to have known that she wasn't going to make it to the hotel much earlier than when she called.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Comment

I imagine that if she'd called in at 8, when the car broke down in the first place, that there's a good chance she could have gotten someone to take pity and release the first night's reservation.

The fact that she didn't think to call until 4 hours later (which is likely after she got the thing towed, parked at a garage for the next morning, then got checked into a room somewhere wherever the car broke down [been there - it really does take that long]) is what got her charged. Seriously, the tow truck never gets there quickly, so there's plenty of time while waiting to not only think over everything that needs to be dealt with, but to actually take time and deal with it.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

i work in RV parks. i hear the "but my motorhome/truck/whatever broke down..." excuse all the time. one of my managers had an interesting solution. he told everyone who said they broke down that if they sent him a copy of the tow or repair bill (of course dated for the day in question) THEN he'd refund the money.

i think i've only seen him refund someone once. XD

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
            i work in RV parks. i hear the "but my motorhome/truck/whatever broke down..." excuse all the time. one of my managers had an interesting solution. he told everyone who said they broke down that if they sent him a copy of the tow or repair bill (of course dated for the day in question) THEN he'd refund the money.

i think i've only seen him refund someone once. XD
            That's a perfect response. Keeps the hotel from footing the bill for people who change their minds and want to use car trouble as an excuse, and actually helps out the people who really have car trouble (and I can even understand some valid reasons for not calling immediately upon breakdown - depending on the timing of everything, they might be hoping the person who comes to their rescue can give them a jump or get them going in some other way so they're quickly on their way, and don't want to cancel reservations and then be left with no room should it actually work out to be a quick fix).

Granted, I'm sure that example is rare, and it usually is scamming, so offering to refund the charge with proof of breakdown really is a great and fair solution.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
              However, she was proceeding with the reservation, and my GM asked her if she had any pets. He had noted an odor about her, and was suspicious. She said no.

He went above and beyond what we normally mention to guests without pets about our "Pet Policy" because he was still suspicious. She continued to insist she did not have any pets.

He pointed out the clause on the Reg. card that says we charge $250 if you have an undeclared pet in the room. She finally admits she has a pet. Actually 3 pets.

My GM refused to sell her a room at that point.
              I'm guessing...ferrets? When I had to live at a hotel for a while, you could always spot-smell the people trying to smuggle in ferrets a mile away. I mean...the smell.

(and yes, I know, you can take care of that.)
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Mustelids are certainly musky. Very difficult to miss.

However, dog-lovers who share a car with a group of their canine companions will also end up smelling like their pets, and if you don't have a dog, you can tell those sorts by scent, too.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Poorly cared for reptiles. /gag

Comment

Just dogs. Didn't mean to make it so mysterious.

SC

Comment

Working...
                    X