This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mhkohne View Post
    though there is some animosity, for reasons I don't understand.
    Tribalism, I suspect.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      Tribalism, I suspect.

Rapscallion
      If spear-chucking is wrong, I don't want to be right.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The split was not tribalism, but corporate politics. The ones behind OpenOffice at the time were big in providing an open-source version of office to the public for free. After the purchase of Sun Microsystems and pressure from Microsoft, Oracle insisted OpenOffice become closed-source and fears that the result of such action would result in OpenOffice no longer being developed.

A number of developers for OO then formed The Document Foundation to serve as a spinoff for an open source version of OpenOffice. An offer was even extended to Oracle to join the foundation and aid in the development of the spinoff. In response, the ones who were part of the community council (programmers who were not employees but were required to sign over submitted works) that were part of the newly formed foundation were forced to step down from the council by Oracle, citing a conflict of interest.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Oracle was never a fan of open source or anything they couldn't squeeze money out of, which is what cause there to be a fork at all. They would have kept developing both in tandem, but Oracle made them choose between one or the other, so the ones working with The Document Foundation jumped ship for more freedom and shortly thereafter, Oracle declared that they would no longer be developing OO.o.

I managed to miss the news when Apache took over OO.o, and I don't know any of the policies behind how they run the ongoing development.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
          X