This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! They Really Don't/Can't Read!

So, I've seen fairly similar stories on here and wondered if it were really true that people can be THAT stupid. The answer is yes.

I did some shopping at WalMart today and used the self checkout. They have 4 of them.
    Each one had one person waiting, so I positioned myself in the center before the checkouts.
    On the one farthest away on my left, I could plainly see and read 2 white signs taped to the dark colored station. One was taped on the side facing where people queing <sp?> by me can see it, then one on the front heavily taped over the credit card reader.
    Both had big bold letters in black saying "CASH ONLY".
    So, can anyone guess what the genius using this station did?

A. Paid cash like it said to do
    B. Read the sign and realized they couldn't pay cash and move on
    or
    C. Ring up their purchase and proceed to remove the CASH ONLY sign from the card reader and try to use their card and seem genuinely confused when it wouldn't work.

I think you all know what happened, or why else would I be posting this story.

Some people think signs like that are just put there because somebody in the store decided to do it for no reason. Like "out of order" signs. Just take off the sign and it will magically work! Oh, wait...
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth ReadyToRetire View Post
      A. Paid cash like it said to do
      B. Read the sign and realized they couldn't pay cash and move on
      or
      C. Ring up their purchase and proceed to remove the CASH ONLY sign from the card reader and try to use their card and seem genuinely confused when it wouldn't work.
      This happens more times than I'd like to think about. I tend to work SCO work. Frequently we'll have to deny cash/cashback due to various jams or errors, resulting in us putting signs on the machine "NO CASH/CASHBACK ON THIS MACHINE".

It is virtually guaranteed that everyone wanting to pay in cash will go there.
      Some will then notice the sign (or signs if I'm there. There are usually three or four all over it in bold letters by the time I'm done) and then pay with their card.

Some with stare at it and blink at me, "I didn't see the signs." If it's not busy it will depend how annoyed I am/what sort of bills they're paying with if I either void out their entire order so they can move to another terminal or I'll take the cash. If I don't have the cash in the drawer because the idiots who were on the SCOs before me took forever to put signs up so it depleted the drawer I can't break large bills. I look at it this way: It MIGHT make them learn.

My FAVORITES however, are the ones who TEAR DOWN THE SIGN, try shoving cash into a broken cash acceptor, and then get nasty with me because "There is no sign!" or "I didn't see the sign!" etc. Those are the ones that definitely have to re-scan. >.>

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Some people think signs like that are just put there because somebody in the store decided to do it for no reason. Like "out of order" signs. Just take off the sign and it will magically work! Oh, wait...
        I actually DID have this once.

One of the drink machines at my first place of work screwed up, so an out of order sign went up. One gentleman went up to the machine, LIFTED the sign up and chose his drink. The machine actually worked
        I quickly rang the sup: "Hey sup, um, the drink machine's working..."
        Sup:
        Me: yeah, some dude just put money in the machine and it worked..."
        Sup:

I did take the sign down after that though.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          I actually DID have this once.

One of the drink machines at my first place of work screwed up, so an out of order sign went up. One gentleman went up to the machine, LIFTED the sign up and chose his drink. The machine actually worked
          I quickly rang the sup: "Hey sup, um, the drink machine's working..."
          Sup:
          Me: yeah, some dude just put money in the machine and it worked..."
          Sup:

I did take the sign down after that though.
          I've had that... many times, unfortunately. I work with coin-op amusement. Probably 1/3 of my "fixes" are taking a sign off a game. What happens is that some customer has an issue-- a one-off coin problem, or they didn't see that it took a dollar instead of fifty cents, or "the claw isn't strong enough" (IE, I suck at playing cranes), or something. So, instead of finding out what the problem actually is, the employee puts a sign on it and forgets about it. Oh, and doesn't tell anyone else, either, so when I show up, nobody knows why the sign is there or who put it on the game.

The real problem with this is when there actually is a problem, but it's an intermittent one. So for several weeks (until I can finally duplicate the problem, or have someone tell me what's going on), I'm getting annoyed at some phantom employee putting signs up, and some employee is getting annoyed at the tech who can't fix a problem that he doesn't know about and that isn't there when he shows up.

Comment

Working...
          X