This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm probably a moron. OS help

I was trying to install ubuntu alongside vista. It fucked up, or I fucked it up, and now neither ubuntu nor vista appear to be installed on my system. The vista recovery disk tells me I don't have a valid install, the proof of liscense on the bottom of my laptop is entirely illegible, and I can't find any of my documentation. OTOH, the linux live cd works just fine, so I can get by until I fix this. Can anyone tell me what my next step is?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Sounds like Ubuntu installed over top of Vista and some kind of glitch made both of them unusable.

When you boot the system, does it allow you access to the bios or anything? Does it give any indication that vista is still on the system during boot at all?

Really, this kind of glitch probably means it isn't recoverable. Your best, and easiest, bet is to format completely and reinstall.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
      Really, this kind of glitch probably means it isn't recoverable. Your best, and easiest, bet is to format completely and reinstall.
      I suspected this was the case, I was just hoping...

If it turns out I have to pay for a whole new copy of windows, can I get windows 7 and still get all my files off of my backup, or does the transfer thing only work if I'm upgrading rather than doing a complete install?
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

9 time out of 10, it seems like this ends up being partitioning issues. When you boot the Live CD, can you read the Windows partition?

If not, you probably stepped on the WIndows partition.

If you can, you may have just screwed up the boot block. That would also mean you can recover your Windows data via the Live CD.

Either way, you are looking at a re-install.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Also, take a look at Virtual box
          https://www.virtualbox.org/

Install Ubuntu as a base system. Install Virtualbox and put win7 in it. Thats how I run

Comment

Working...
          X