This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Signage Project

This project took much longer than it should have, but I'm very happy with the results. (TL;DR at the bottom)

Now that we're just a branch of a larger, out-of-state bank, we have almost no budget for advertising. Loan demand is very slow in our community, and we want to bring in as many people as we can to keep our branch profitable. We priced outdoor LED signs and found that they are WAY out of our budget.

At one of our meetings (this was about 2 months ago now), I suggested using a piece of software that my hubby uses at his work. I knew it was very customizable, ran on monitors or tvs, and wasn't very expensive. Plus we have several computers that aren't being used that we could install the software on.

Everybody thought it was a great idea, so I ordered the software and bought a monitor wall mount. The total cost for the project (not including my time) was under $200.

I had some difficulty getting the software registered. At first, I thought it was a problem with our firewall, but it turned out that the first two computers I tried to install it on were too slow to run the software. The third one worked, though.

So during my spare time, over the course of about two weeks, I set up some ads using the templates that came with it and a free graphics editing software. The husband of one of my coworkers hung the monitor mount on the wall next to the ATM and drilled a small hole in the wall for the cables to go through. I set up the computer in the closet behind the ATM, started the display, and YAY! We have digital signage.

Everyone loves it, even "Flo," the auditor who was here yesterday right after I finished setting it up. She said, "We should have something like this at <Main Branch>."

I gave my boss and another coworker instructions for changing or restarting the display (if we should lose power or something). And I can update the display using remote desktop, so I don't have to stand in the closet behind the ATM to update it.

TL;DR: I set up some digital signage very cheaply to bring in loan customers. It's right next to our ATM, so non-customers who use our ATM will see it. I'm getting major kudos from coworkers on it.

I'll try to add a picture later.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Picture!

I love how it turned out!
    Last edited by Ghel; 11-10-2012, 03:58 PM.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Nifty! Great when a plan works out, right?

Rapscallion

Comment

At first, I read the title as digital Sausage. But the signage is cool, too!

Comment

It's so professional looking, I wouldn't even think of it as being a "local employee" effort ---more like the kind of thing you just assume came down from corporate. Nicely done!

Comment

Thanks, everybody! A lot of the graphics are templates that came with the software, but I'm still pleased with how it turned out.
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
            X