This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Bricktop!

So I'm in red apron today buying flooring. I need four hundred square feet of tile for a giant sunroom that we're having made. (I've been waiting for something like ten or twelve years for this)

Long story short, I can't get what I want in the time frame the contractor would like. So I ask the woman what she can find for me inside of that time frame. So she's on the phone calling around.

Enter Bricktop. He's a middle aged jackass that thinks he's a special snowflake. He looks like Bricktop from Snatch. Worse, he acts a bit like Bricktop from Snatch. I'm wander over to where the woman helping me is on the phone, and I hear him saying shit like "well, if he wants my business, he'll give me a deal, wank wank wank etc." He ends this by thumping his card on the desk in front of her and saying "have him give me a call, if he wants my money, jerk jerk jerk etc." before stumping off.

The woman managed to mostly wipe off her "oh brother" look as she turned to me. I said "what a doucebag." and she just laughed and said, "That guy is a complete pain, he's in here every week trying to get discounts on non-discounted stuff." So we kind of had some fun at his expense making fun of him and commiserating on assholes we've had the pleasure of dealing with in retail.

So, they can't get enough of my tile fast enough. However, she had a deal I might be interested in.

The deal was a pile of clearanced tile, slightly darker and slightly smaller than I had picked out. And her boss has cleared her to sell it at .11 cents on the dollar, if she wanted to. Just get rid of it. It's gorgeous tile, the color of warm, mottled slate.

So, in practical terms, I was gonna pay what would probably end up in the neighborhood of nearly eight hundred dollars for the just the floor on this room. That was my allowance from the contractor. I paid out of pocket for entire load of tile.

It cost me 47 dollars and some change.

Seriously. Forty seven dollars. For four hundred plus square feet of beautiful tile.

So, Bricktop. Thanks for giving me a little something to bond with the flooring lady over. Because if you hadn't done that and I hadn't struck up a conversation with her, I would have probably been too hasty to run all over town looking for flooring and paid a shitload of money for it. And thanks for putting the idea of a discount into her head. Because you're right, discounts rock.
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 11-10-2012, 03:33 AM.

Secret pwnage is the best kind.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

WOW, that's what I call a bargain!! Sounds gorgeous, too.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Lucky break for you. It was truly karmic.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I wonder if this guy feeds people to pigs.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
            I wonder if this guy feeds people to pigs.
            What, you want pigs to get heartburn from being around people like Bricktop?? How heartless are you?!
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

You're going to LOVE your sunroom!

We have a space designated for our huge-living-area. North* side of the house, so it'll be beautifully sunny. And our back yard is just big enough to let us have a nice sunroom, and also either a pool or a good patch of garden for fruit, vegetables and herbs.

.... and we'll build it when I win the lottery, or when we have the mortgage paid down, or when I write that best-selling novel. (The latter two are the more realistic.)

* remember - southern hemisphere, sun at midday is to the north. So it'll be nice and warm in winter, and if we give it a retractable awning, we can shade it in the hot days of summer.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Thank goodness Bricktop wasn't there to respond to your thank you, like the poor "fringe" who interrupted him whilst he was walking.

Fringe: "Well THANKS for the tip, Bricktop!"
                Bricktop: (grabs him by the face and shoving him to the wall) "Listen to me, you f***ing fringe. When I throw a dog a bone, I don't wanna know if it tastes good or not. You interrupt me whilst I'm walking again, and I'll cut your f***ing jacobs off."
                (Bricktop stabs him in the groin, and walks away.)
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Too, too awesome. Karma's the best kind of bitch sometimes, isn't she?

I adore slate, it's such a beautiful stone - sez I who lives in a geological region littered with flint and slate.

But of course, we are expecting pictures of the finished sunroom, you know that, right?
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Beautiful, just beautiful. Speaking of beautiful, the sunroom sounds like it'll turn out great! I'd love to see pictures!
                    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Secret pwnage is the best kind.
                      Personally, I like the look they get on their faces when they realise that they have been well and truly pwned.

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
                        But of course, we are expecting pictures of the finished sunroom, you know that, right?
                        Absolutely! We all oohed and aahed over that pretty cottage garden, we want to see the sunroom, too!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Absolutely! We all oohed and aahed over that pretty cottage garden, we want to see the sunroom, too!

Seconded.

Not sure how I missed the thread over your garden, but it IS absolutely beautiful.

Can't wait to see the pics of the sunroom.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X