This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that shouldn't have happened!

So last month, I went to go and get my 3 month supply of Lamotrigine refilled (I have epilepsy) and I gave them my Sun Life card. Well, for some reason, it came with an error message saying that "INSURER REQUIRES PROV PLAN ENROLLMENT", which is absolutely wonky because 3 months before that, I had no problems come up.

So they gave me a print out of the error message, a PharmaCare Plan booklet, and small list of instructions that came with an incomplete URL. So, I decided to register myself. I completed the required information and clicked on "verify". Well, I got a message on the Government of BC's website saying "Our records show that you are already registered for PharmaCare benefits".

So now I'm both puzzled and angry. How is it that the pharmacy's database says that I am not registered for the provincial plan enrollment, yet the government's website verifies that I'm ALREADY registered? WTF?!

Because of this crap I ended up paying over $100 for a refill!
    "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Did they pass the claim through PharmaCare before billing SunLife or only billed SunLife?

Edited to add:

Just asking before a lot of private plans are now requiring that patients use public coverage before billing private (happening more and more now). Of course, medication we process for is almost a couple of thousand every two weeks so I can see why they would require that.

Obviously, it could be something else entirely, just curious about how they billed it. If it's a SunLife mistake, they can change it on their end you and can have them reimburse you manually. If they now require you to use FPC first, you can ask that the pharmacy reverse the charge to you and then rebill it. That is, if you don't need an SA form filled out for FPC first. If you do, I don't think they backbill (can't remember). Which would suck.

I hope SunLife can clear it up for you.
    Last edited by Slayer; 11-19-2012, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Did they pass the claim through PharmaCare before billing SunLife or only billed SunLife?
      I honestly don't really know. But I took a screencap of the "already registered" message, and I plan on printing out a copy to show to my employers. Because if I'm already registered under that plan, then it shouldn't be saying otherwise on the pharmacy database.

I'll have to ask the pharmacy as to why I came up as "unregistered".
      "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

For the medications we work with, you have to register first with FPC and then apply for the specific drug using the SA form signed by a doctor. Then FPC will either approve or reject coverage. It might tell you on their site what their process is for what you take. Might be automatic for common medications like RAMQ here (though our deductibles are standard, FPC varies).

I really hope SunLife didn't just change their policy without notifying you.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
          For the medications we work with, you have to register first with FPC and then apply for the specific drug using the SA form signed by a doctor. Then FPC will either approve or reject coverage. It might tell you on their site what their process is for what you take. Might be automatic for common medications like RAMQ here (though our deductibles are standard, FPC varies).

I really hope SunLife didn't just change their policy without notifying you.
          Thanks. I'll look into that.

Comment

Working...
          X