This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    Absolutely it counts! My sympathies. I go through this with a close friend every couple of years. Fortunately, she's always had the wherewithal to call me at 2 am when she gets manic and suicidal. I never mind though; we've been through too much together.
    Thank you.
    Yes, she's got enough of herself even at those times to seek help: it's just that if she thinks D and I can't handle her ourselves, she gets desperate...

I like the idea of medical maggots and leeches, I understand the theory behind both and it's sound. But the critters themselves - or having to have the treatments myself - ... I get queasy just thinking about it. And if I did have either situation where that would be the appropriate treatment, I'd OK it, but I doubt I'd be able to handle it well.

As for providing such treatment? Maybe. With practice. Perhaps. And only because I know it's the sensible answer.

Maggots, leeches and other parasites that are not being used medically, not raised in a sterile environment etc? YEEEEUUUUCCCKKKK.
    And the thought of a gangrenous or necrotic wound... <shudder>

I've cleaned up blood, piss, poo, puke, pus-ish wounds, both for my pets and for my family. I've held my husband while he went into cardiac arrest, and came back from it. I've held A while she suffered through manias and depressions.

Ain't no way I'm going into professional nursing, though.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
      I gag even thinking about cleaning out Mr. Elephantitis Legs with Maggots who comes in every few months. I cringe at the thought of leeches. I can't do scabies.
      Please tell me those are the type of maggots some doctors use to clean out wounds...

Comment

Quoth shopgirl15 View Post
        Please tell me those are the type of maggots some doctors use to clean out wounds...
        Based on the description, I'd say those are the type of maggots that occur when someone doesn't take proper care of a wound.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth shopgirl15 View Post
          Sadly, not. The kinds of leeches and maggots used for medical purposes belong to a specific species (which escapes me at the moment) and are grown in sterile conditions.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Intellectually, I love it. Brilliant solution to the problem. Same with growing gut bacteria and flora and inserting them into the guts of patients with problems caused by ineffective gut symbiotes.

But my guts (in an emotional sense) just squick out.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ugh. Let me add to my list: whiny patients. I get it. You don't feel good/are in a lot of pain. There is not a whole lot I can do about that other than do my test as quickly and efficiently as possible so that the doc can figure out what's wrong with you. So please don't take it out on me. I don't get paid enough.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                Rectal exams for other purposes is strictly an MD job though, and I've annoyed more than one for making him do his own job. I hate rectums that much.
                Which kind are you referring to - the patients' "nether orifice", or the MDs who don't want to do their own job?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'd say both, lol.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Which kind are you referring to - the patients' "nether orifice", or the MDs who don't want to do their own job?
                    Yes.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm ok with most body fluids, but vomit... I have issues with. Blood, pus, fecal matter, etc can be gross, but don't bother me too much. Maggots in wounds sent me into mild shock the first time I had to deal with them, but I got over that.

Disclaimer: I'm only a pharmacy tech and massage therapist, but before I moved I volunteered at my local animal shelter. When they were short handed, I got to help out the vet tech with the poor babies. I like to think I'm calm and steady, and I seemed to be a genuine help.

Comment

Oh god, the condition of the skin under matted fur. Poor babies.

Having volunteered at a shelter, I am NEVER, EVER going to take on a pet whose fur needs more grooming than I can handle. It's just cruelty.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          Oh god, the condition of the skin under matted fur. Poor babies.

Having volunteered at a shelter, I am NEVER, EVER going to take on a pet whose fur needs more grooming than I can handle. It's just cruelty.
                          I'm with you there. I've never had a long haired cat; I can't keep up with the grooming.

Drat. Reminds me I got to take Taz to get her nails clipped. She won't let me do it.

Comment

Working...
                          X