This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more music at work

The company took away one of the few joys at work. They ended the contract with our music provider. Now, the store is too damned quiet. The music feed was one way I distracted myself from the monotony and tedium of the work day. At the same time, they reminded us of the policy prohibiting cellphones, mp3 players, and other electronic devices while on duty. We are expected to leave all personal devices in our cars or at home. Others have been fired for just having them on their person while on duty.

One coworker was fired over this policy recently. She had her phone in her purse. One of the office assholes visited the store. He truly is the asshole of the comany. Everyone hates him. While visiting the store, he decided to call her phone just to see if it was in the store. It rang. He fired her for violating the policy. She was a good worker, and wasn't a phone abuser. This was totally unjustified and unnecessary. That's how strongly some enforce the policy.

A few of us still smuggle our devices in to work just to rebel. I always keep my phone on silent in my pocket in case of emergency. Now, I smuggle my mp3 player and portable speaker when I know I'm going to be by myself because it's miserable being chained to register with no distraction whatsoever.

I'm just sick of work!
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

could always have me come over to your store and harrass you...I mean keep you company!
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

You're welcome to come over. Consider it a standing invitation.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
        One coworker was fired over this policy recently. She had her phone in her purse. One of the office assholes visited the store. He truly is the asshole of the comany. Everyone hates him. While visiting the store, he decided to call her phone just to see if it was in the store. It rang. He fired her for violating the policy. She was a good worker, and wasn't a phone abuser. This was totally unjustified and unnecessary. That's how strongly some enforce the policy.
        Wow. That's just awful
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I could tell you some stories of him bullying coworkers until they cry or snap. I just walk away and dismiss him when he tries that nonsense with me. Regular customers have even told me they think he's an idiot when they see him in action.

Comment

What if someones relative was in the hospital, and they had to have their phone with them? Or if their relative got hurt and needed someone to take them to the hospital? That's so dickish!

Comment

Those are the kinds of points I mention when reminded of their stupid rules. I pretty much ignore most of the nonsense, and do what I'm going to do anyway. Some would say I have a cavalier attitude about my job, but I have the most seniority of anyone in the store. I know how to keep up the illusion of following the rules when the hemorrhoids are in the store. I usually remain as scarce as possible lest I spout off some smart remark they don't like. The store manager and area manager are not so strict about company policies. They just tell us to keep our devices quiet and out of sight. I often tell the newer clerks to follow my lead, and I'll help them stay off the radar. I just go at my job with the attitude that I'm not going to be there forever. The big question is will they target me someday or will I finally move on to something I like better. I figure life is too short to worry about some job that is only a stepping stone. I've never been happier at work since adopting that attitude. I don't like the way they treat employees, but it's still a paycheck. I've had better and I've had worse.

Comment

Quoth Joyius View Post
                What if someones relative was in the hospital, and they had to have their phone with them? Or if their relative got hurt and needed someone to take them to the hospital? That's so dickish!
                Where I'm working now the employees can fill-out a paper if they need to have access to their phone while in the warehouse; sickness, births, family issues, etc. That way they don't get in trouble; because otherwise the rule is no electronics in the warehouse are (they have to leave them in the break area) and they can get fired for violating it (they could be using the phones to photograph product or something)
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                X