This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So that explains it...

At the registers, the only cleaning tool we have is glass cleaner (for the scanner glass, steel--which streaks like hell and needs 2 cleanings to get it looking decent--and belts). We have some fancy food-safe steel cleaner, but it's ended up on the shelf more than once so that toy may go away soon I've asked ASM why we don't have belt sanitizer, he says he hasn't found anything food-safe to use on those (mom calls BS; the Method cleaners are safe around food).

I discovered why I tend to get loopy if ASM is on a register-cleaning binge. The glass cleaner smells like it's almost pure ammonia...yeah. The concentrations needed to do a decent job on anything other than glass would get anybody high.

We do sell the Method cleaners; mom says next time to just sign out a spray bottle and take it home or put in my locker after my shift so it doesn't get stolen.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

You know, Simple Green is an awesome product that cleans just about anything and isn't too harsh. Plain-old vinegar and water works too.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      I've asked ASM why we don't have belt sanitizer, he says he hasn't found anything food-safe to use on those
      the man has never heard of 2% bleach solution*?

Or Quaternary ammonia?

*seriously a tad more chlorine than tap water, it's what we use in the lab, up to 10% solution is considered "food safe"
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

We use a stabilized hydrogen peroxide solution everywhere except the cafe. That includes counters at the front lanes that get food passed over them.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          At the registers, the only cleaning tool we have is glass cleaner (for the scanner glass, steel--which streaks like hell and needs 2 cleanings to get it looking decent--and belts). We have some fancy food-safe steel cleaner, but it's ended up on the shelf more than once so that toy may go away soon I've asked ASM why we don't have belt sanitizer, he says he hasn't found anything food-safe to use on those (mom calls BS; the Method cleaners are safe around food).

I discovered why I tend to get loopy if ASM is on a register-cleaning binge. The glass cleaner smells like it's almost pure ammonia...yeah. The concentrations needed to do a decent job on anything other than glass would get anybody high.

We do sell the Method cleaners; mom says next time to just sign out a spray bottle and take it home or put in my locker after my shift so it doesn't get stolen.
          That much ammonia may well qualify as a safety hazard. something that needs to be checked.

Comment

I think the place I work uses the same thing.

I also found the MSDS for the chemical online

http://www.ffgeneralsupply.com/msds/...ant/239610.pdf

I personally always use gloves when using it, especially since how ever makes it up using the concentrated stuff makes it a lot more concentrated then it's supposed to be.

Comment

Yup, that's the stuff. I'm now wondering why a cleaner designated 'for commercial use only' and not noted as food-safe is even allowed on the front end; I've had customers put meat and produce on a belt I'd just cleaned without letting me wipe it off O_o
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
              X