This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible self-sighting ...

So I pull into my usual pet supply store to get cat litter. The two people I've done business with in the past are both gone -- one moved out West and the other decided to retire, I believe.

I walk in, wander a bit, don't see any staff, get a big sack of litter and plop it on the counter. Still no staff.

Wander around a bit more. A friend has a dog; I look at possible doggie gifts.

Still no staff. No sign on the counter telling where they are (i.e. "We're out back unpacking stuff; please yell if you want something!") or when (or if) they'll be back.

Wander around literally the entire store, just to make sure somebody isn't (very, very quietly) stocking shelves somewhere. Even peek into the darkened grooming room.

Nobody.

Go play with the little kitties up for adoption. Little black kitties. One wanted to chew on my fingers, the other was a bit shyer. (I was totally ignoring the sign that said 'Please don't stick your fingers into the cage.")

No staff.

I didn't have a watch but I'm guessing I was there for at least 5 minutes, possibly closer to 10. Finally start to walk out. Just as I open the door I hear a voice from the back of the store. Keep walking. Get to my car and I hear, "Hey, miss? Miss??" I turn around. It's a staff member, standing in the open door. "Is this your litter?" I wanted to say, "Not anymore it isn't" but settled for "No thanks," got in my car and drove off.

So I don't know if this makes me a bit of an SC or not. Aside from the poor customer service issue, you'd think they'd consider the bloody security issue -- I don't know what kind of in-store security they've got, but somebody could've easily come in and walked off with half the store (I have no idea how long they'd been in the back).

I'm new to retail so I'm wondering: am I overreacting?

(On the bright side, if the staff had shown up earlier, I might now be trying to figure out how to explain to my brother on his next visit -- in two weeks -- why my two cats have suddenly morphed into four ... )

Quoth Pixilated View Post
    (On the bright side, if the staff had shown up earlier, I might now be trying to figure out how to explain to my brother on his next visit -- in two weeks -- why my two cats have suddenly morphed into four ... )
    My boyfreind keeps that from happening with me. We joke that if it wern't for him I'd be a crazy cat lady.
    Last edited by stitchwitch; 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM.
    Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

I would have tried calling out a few times in various places of the store, but no I don't think you were sucky for leaving when no one was around.

Comment

What if the staff had been tied up in the back after being robbed? I went to a bookstore once, one one was out front. I browsed for a while then went in the back and found the cashier tied up on the floor. Or they may have been working alone and needed a potty break.

Comment

Aislin, how can you leave us hanging without details??
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

What details! Poor guy was robbed an left tied up. More insane was it was one o those discount remainder bin book shops that sold books for like a buck each so the robbers got a grand total of 40 bucks. The guy was more confused than scared. I hung around and gave a statement but it was at a strip mall off the highway and I ha just stopped to use the restroom and buy a book because I was going to visit my dad in the hospital and people in comas aren't chatty. It wasn't even my most interesting trip to that strip mall.

Comment

Aislin, that was a helluva long potty break -- I was wandering around for a good five minutes, and possibly up to 10. I didn't have a watch but after a few minutes I started paying attention to the songs on the radio. At least four or five songs were played before I finally walked out.

Also, previously, there were always at least two people manning the store. Surely they both didn't need a potty break at the same time. Yes, things might have changed, and only one person might now be scheduled for the slower hours. Which is not the employees' fault but it's still damn stupid. And I don't think it has changed because as I said I heard the one employee who ultimately came to the door talking to somebody as she walked out from the back room.

The robbery scenario, while it didn't happen, is always possible. There was a door marked 'Employees Only' and no, I didn't open it to see if anything was wrong. To be honest I never thought of it. I won't say crime doesn't happen here, but it's not a high-crime city by any means -- most of the holdups are at convenience stores, late at night.

Akasa, I'll give that a try if it happens again.

Comment

I stopping in a Radio Shack late one evening, about half an hour before closing. No one was there. I checked the back room, office and bathroom. Nobody. Maybe they were out in the alley, I didn't check. I told a manager about it the next day.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                X