This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job hunt hell - college spam & why I love google voice

job hunting, somehow I either clicked on one of those "call me" bullshit things or they found my info and decided to bug me anyway.

Telling them to stop doesn't work, they keep calling back. I've told them twice and they hang up, or they demand personal information first.

So fuck them. This is why I use google voice for my job hunting number.
    Cos... even though it rings through on my skype, google still knows the call came through and put it in my history.

and now that it's on my history I can block the call. so when they call me again - and I'm sure they'll try! - they'll get a "this number is not in service" message with the trademark 3-beep sound.

now the only way they can get through is to use my actual skype number (which I don't post on resumes anyway) or my cell number (which isn't on my resume).

take that dumbass college assholes

Nice maneuver! I remember when CID had us a step ahead of the phone nuisances for a brief period, but they caught up. Hope getting around this kind of thing takes them a bit longer.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      Nice maneuver! I remember when CID had us a step ahead of the phone nuisances for a brief period, but they caught up. Hope getting around this kind of thing takes them a bit longer.
      they'd have to call me from a different number, or they'd have to call my real skype number, not the google voice one.
      (and good luck finding the skype number since i don't even remember what it is, heh.)
      Last edited by PepperElf; 12-06-2012, 12:20 AM.

Comment

When I lost my job in Indianapolis and moved home, I made the mistake of filling out a form on a webpage to get information about individual health insurance.

Literally about 30 seconds after I hit Enter, I got the first call. The rest of that day I got calls every few minutes, from different people in different states, until I finally put the phone on silent. The next few days I still got 5 or 6 a day. The calls gradually slacked off, but even now, a year and a half later, I still get one or two a month.

Moral of the story: be very careful about filling out forms on the internet.
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

ya. i had the same thing when i wanted information on moving my storage unit.

got to the point where i was automatically ignoring calls from specific area codes.

but if i do get a job i'm getting an iphone yes, but i'm going to still use the google voice number for my work number. that way i can still filter out the weirdos and spammers by making them think my number is disconnected.

Comment

Sounds like an infamous commission only insurance company that keeps calling me... it does not matter how many times I tell them that I'm not interested, that I will never be that desperate, they keep calling. Like, seriously, I am not going to work for a shady life insurance company that is known for stiffing their commissioned employees. At least though that is an improvement over those places that want to pay you to receive packages and reship them internationally... yeah, one of two possibilities, one they just want your personal information to steal your identity, or they are trying to get you to smuggle drugs.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
              At least though that is an improvement over those places that want to pay you to receive packages and reship them internationally... yeah, one of two possibilities, one they just want your personal information to steal your identity, or they are trying to get you to smuggle drugs.
              Third possibility: the goods they want you to re-ship are stolen (most likely purchased with a stolen credit card number), and they want an expendable "cutout" so the online merchants they bought from don't have their actual address to send the cops to over the fraud.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                Sounds like an infamous commission only insurance company that keeps calling me... it does not matter how many times I tell them that I'm not interested, that I will never be that desperate, they keep calling. Like, seriously, I am not going to work for a shady life insurance company that is known for stiffing their commissioned employees. At least though that is an improvement over those places that want to pay you to receive packages and reship them internationally... yeah, one of two possibilities, one they just want your personal information to steal your identity, or they are trying to get you to smuggle drugs.
                That sounds like a variation on the "I sent a check for $1000 for that $300 item. Cash it and send me the rest back" scam.

Comment

Working...
                X