This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Fossil!

People bring lots of crap into the pawn shop, it's 50/50 I think of people who know what they have is crap and hope we'll buy it any way vs people who truly think it's valuable. So in walks a lady with a gas station knock-off of a Zippo, a junky violin that was "very valuable", an "$8,000" vase, and a plastic bag with what appeared to be a single bit of dirt.

Now all of this was crap, the violin was not a Stradivarius, the vase was junk; however, this bit of dirt in the bag was interesting because she claimed it was a "fossil". I opened the bag, carefully took it out and immediately knew it to be a dirt dobber's nest and there was a dead bug inside it. I thought, maybe she is new to this region or the more rural type areas. So I explained what it was and she got pretty pissed off because I wouldn't buy anything from her (not that the huge going out of business sign might have tipped her off that we're not in acquisition mode).

She snatched up all her items, even the violin, and stormed out bitching about how we're idiots. I think I'm always too nice about telling people lies that their stuff is nice but we can't buy any more, we don't have the right clientele, ect.. Next time, since this job ends soon I'm just going to say "All your stuff is shit,gtfo and stop wasting my time", but then I'll feel bad about it.

We get this all the time where I work. I work at a game store (board and card games) and we will purchase cards off people on occasion. Much of the time, the cards people bring in are either Commons or completely worthless due to the fact that they are either in horrible shape or they are from a card game that was semi popular 10 years ago and went out of print about 9 years ago. When told that we could not give them any money for the cards, they whine, bitch, and complain.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

How the hell does a mud wasp's next look like a "fossil??" She was delusional.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bubblelittlepally View Post
        Next time, since this job ends soon I'm just going to say "All your stuff is shit,gtfo and stop wasting my time", but then I'll feel bad about it.
        Where's Les from a certain Detroit pawn shop when you need him? He'd have told her not only to GTFO, but probably what she could do with her stuff
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
        X