This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY!

So I got yet another call from my favourite temp agency today. First I thought that it'd be another "emergency call" where I'm called in to fill in for an employee on vacation or sick leave, but not this time...

This time it's a try-and-hire contract (as in I will be hired permanently if everything works out all right), I will be an ADDITION to the existing team (so the nightmare scenario that I experienced at The Funny Farm is avoided), and best of all, I'll be able to use my mad language skillz at last (the company is an international corporation and I was contacted ESPECIALLY because of the language skills I wrote on my resume).

Oh, and to top it all, my first day is already on Monday, so I had the pleasure of contacting my local Job Centre and politely tell them that I didn't need the "motivational" seminar they "offered" me anyway.

Methinks it's gonna take a great deal to ruin my weekend...
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Oooh yes! You deserve that

Rapscallion

Comment

Score! W00t!
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Thanks y'all!

I was out today to check out where the company is located (turns out it was a good choice, the building is half-hidden behind another building and I'd be freaked out had I first found out on my first day) so the commute logistic is sorted. On the other hand it looks like there won't be lunch facilities on the work site (it's a very small building) so it's either bringing a lunchbox with me (gah) or just take the subway train one stop to the nearest mall...
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Oooh, while the "new job" buzz is still buzzing I have some more to brag about:

- There is a lunch facility after all, and while I'm with the temp agency I get to eat for free. SWEET!

- One of the conditions I was hired on was (x) language. I stated that I was able to speak (x) language, but was a bit rusty since I hadn't spoken (x) language for a while so I'd prefer to speak English for the first while. However, I engaged in some small talk with a couple of co-workers who were (x) natives and they complimented me on my pronounciation in (x) language - heck, one of the managers even stated that he could tell I learnt (x) language in (y) region, based on my accent! (And he was right!)

- Though I've only been hired for 4 days till now, company has already given me a Christmas present.

- Temp agency has stated that they will pay me for most of my Christmas/New Year days off. When I called in to get it verified, the agency could also tell me that the company was VERY satisfied with my work effort. And my supervisor is already thinking of giving me some special responsability tasks.

Only bad thing is, whether I get permanently hired or not, my position WILL be only temporarely - the company is doing a governmental funded project, and once the project is completed (in about 2 years) the company will close down unless they get another contract (which they neither can't nor will count on). Still, it does give some way for some serious networking.

Comment

Happy update:

Only one month in I'm already offered to get a "permanent" hire (as in, the job will still be temporary since it depends on whenever the company completes its project, but I'll go from hourly pay to monthly salary).

Only knack left is the pay negotiations (as the CEO is known for being a huge cheapass), but let's see. Anyway, the HR manager has already ordered a set of keys + an ID card for me, so she seems confident in that the pay offer will be acceptable.

Comment

Congrats you deserve it!

Comment

So, deal done. Seasonally hired till New Year's Eve, though the contract can/may be extended. Monthly salary that is just a bit higher than what the temp agency paid me, so it's all good.

Comment

Working...
                  X