This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why it is important not to be a dick

This last week I have been sick, and miserable, and could barely talk because my throat hurt so much.
    So yesterday I finally broke down and went to urgent care (not a cheap prospect without insurance, but by that point, I couldn't keep going how I was... after all, I didn't want to risk that it was strep throat, that shit can be deadly if you don't treat it, and $150 out of pocket for a clinic visit and generic prescription is preferable to death... and no, that isn't as much hyperbole as it sounds, I'm particularly vulnerable to strep because of a bad strep infection I had when I was younger).
    I show up, there is one person in line before me to check in, and a few other people already in the waiting room. The receptionist tells the guy in front of me that it will be about 40 minutes wait, he says okay, signs in, and goes to wait, I check in, she tells me about 50 minutes, I say fine, and I sign in.
    Well, 20 minutes later, the guy asks why it is taking so long, the receptionist explains that there is one doctor (which isn't much of a surprise, the entirety of the clinic was the waiting room, three exam rooms, a lab, and a storage room), and that she is moving through people as quickly as possible. Well, this was not the right answer. So he says, I can't wait this long, is it okay if I sign out and try to find somewhere else with less of a wait. The receptionist says, of course you can. He wanders off and starts yelling into his phone trying to get someone to get him in immediately. Well, about 15 minutes later, they call my name, and our impatient man goes ballistic, how dare I get seen first when he signed in first, and the receptionist just very calmly told him "Sir, you asked to be signed out so you could find somewhere else to go"
    Hey, as far as I'm concerned, everything ended well, I got in 15 minutes earlier than I thought I would be, and the impatient jack ass got served a dose of karma.

eta- oh, and just to reassure, it wasn't strep merely a sinus infection that was draining overnight and irritating the throat, the doctor put me on a 6 day z-tab to clear up the sinus infection.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I'd say he got his just desserts.

Hope you feel better soon, Smiley. Have you tried hot tea with honey and lemon? That's supposed to be good for a sore throat.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Hope you feel better soon, Smiley. Have you tried hot tea with honey and lemon? That's supposed to be good for a sore throat.
      I've been taking Dayquill (well, the generic knock off) all week, and have been drinking hot Tang (it sounds weird, but it works really good). And after just two days of antibiotics already starting to feel better (and yes, I know to finish the antibiotics and not to stop after I feel better).

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        eta- oh, and just to reassure, it wasn't strep merely a sinus infection that was draining overnight and irritating the throat, the doctor put me on a 6 day z-tab to clear up the sinus infection.
        Yay for Z-Paks!

I've been taking Dayquill (well, the generic knock off) all week, and have been drinking hot Tang (it sounds weird, but it works really good). And after just two days of antibiotics already starting to feel better (and yes, I know to finish the antibiotics and not to stop after I feel better).
        I've got a mix that I make for "Spiced" tea, but it's mostly Tang. (Has some sugar, instant tea, instant lemon sweetened tea, cinnamon, and cloves.)
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I hope you feel better. And HA to that guy. He's lucky some urgent cares take hours so complaining about a 20 min wait is just stupid :P

Comment

Grandpa used to advise me to take whiskey ... for pretty much anything, IIRC.

Sounds like the SC wanted it both ways: to get in sooner somewhere else if possible but if not, to hold his place in line at the clinic you were both at. Yeah, that's OK, because of course there's nobody else there that needs any attention ...

Comment

Hot lemon and honey is my remedy. No tea. Just hot water, a shot of lemon juice, and enough honey to make it cling to the spoon a little when you stir it.

If I have a cough, sometimes a shot of rum and orange juice is a better cough suppressant than the commercial syrups. :P Just don't mix it with other meds.

Comment

Glad it's not strep.

The SC was nuts to expect to be seen in 20 minutes. Personally, I've waited longer to be called for appointments!
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I LOVE z-tab! I had a horrible viral infection once and the urgent care doctor prescribed me those meds. I felt infinitely better after the first day.

Glad you didn't have strep. Also, I can understand not wanting to wait when you feel like you're dying, but that guy shouldn't have signed out if he was just going to stand around talking on his phone.

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post

The SC was nuts to expect to be seen in 20 minutes. !
                    Seriously, if they told him it would be 5 to 10 minutes, and 20 minutes later he's still waiting, then yeah, I can see being a bit upset, but he was told up front it was going to be about 40 minutes and then got upset when halfway through that time he's told that indeed it is going to take how long we told you it would take.

Comment

So yesterday I finally broke down and went to urgent care (not a cheap prospect without insurance, but by that point, I couldn't keep going how I was... after all, I didn't want to risk that it was strep throat, that shit can be deadly if you don't treat it, and $150 out of pocket for a clinic visit and generic prescription is preferable to death... and no, that isn't as much hyperbole as it sounds, I'm particularly vulnerable to strep because of a bad strep infection I had when I was younger).
                      Good for you, glad to hear it wasn't strep after all. I had strep as a child, which was directly responsible for the rheumatic fever I had next. Strep is
                      definitely not something to ignore.

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                        I LOVE z-tab! I had a horrible viral infection once and the urgent care doctor prescribed me those meds. I felt infinitely better after the first day.
                        Since they gave you azithromycin, and you got better, you had a bacterial infection, not a viral one. Antibiotics will not only not do anything for a viral infection, it can make it worse and can quit working against that bacteria is supposed to work against.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Since they gave you azithromycin, and you got better, you had a bacterial infection, not a viral one. Antibiotics will not only not do anything for a viral infection, it can make it worse and can quit working against that bacteria is supposed to work against.
                          Okay then, I misspoke. Either way, it made me feel better.

Comment

Working...
                          X