This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you yelling at ME?

Today me and the hubs decided to go see The Hobbit again and see if we could track down a last-minute gift for tomorrow's family Christmas exchange. Traffic is insane, of course, and I thought nothing of it when I came to a stop near a busy intersection with an enormous SUV in front of me. We were in the right lane of a 4 lane highway, and I couldn't see around them, so naturally I assumed there was traffic ahead.

Until the SUV started backing up, on the highway, and didn't show any sign of stopping.

I tapped my horn once to alert the driver that they were about to hit me. This was not an impatient leaning-on-the-horn aggressive honk, just a short little beep to say, "hey, there's someone back here". They stop backing up; I figure maybe they just wanted to back up to give someone in the parking lot to our right enough room to pull out. I'm fine with that; it's not unusual around here. As long as the SUV wasn't about to hit me anymore, whatever. So I continue to patiently wait for traffic to start moving.

Till I look around and realize the car to our left had TONS of room ahead of them. In fact, the road is clear ahead. I then start poking my head around to see what's ahead of the SUV, only to see the SUV's door fly open and this woman leap out of the vehicle. I roll my window down, figuring she's going to explain what's up....again, something I'm fine with. Patiently tell me what the problem is and we're cool.

But no, she starts yelling at me like it's all MY fault. I guess she's one of those that takes the sound of a horn honking as the ultimate sign of aggression, rather than the alert it's meant to be. I'm staring at her like and didn't catch exactly what she said because her reaction caught me off guard, but in essence what she was doing was backing up to give the vehicle to our LEFT room to turn in front of her into the parking lot to our RIGHT.

WTF lady? I know it sucks to be in the wrong lane and not realize it till the last minute, but it's not your job to make sure they can cut across our lane to get in. It's one thing if traffic is backed up in both lanes and you're behind the entrance to the lot and wait a few extra seconds to let the other car merge ahead of you. It's something else entirely to nearly run over the person behind you to back up when you're already blocking the lot entrance, not only endangering that person and their vehicle, but inconveniencing an entire line of vehicles in both lanes to do so. The other person should have either waited for an opening or, preferably, gone down, turned left into another shopping center (trust me, there are PLENTY on this road) and came back, or made a block and come back.

I dunno, I guess she thought she was being nice to the other person, but why, then, turn around and bitch at me for not wanting my car to get hit if that were the case? Why not come out and say, "sorry, didn't see you, here's what's going on and we'll have this cleared up in a second"? Seriously, at no time was I aggressive towards her, or throwing up my hands or gesturing at her, so she had no reason to go off on me other than the fact that I DARED to tap my horn.

Some people just don't get that the horn was invented as a warning signal, not as a way to express aggression.

Comment

Oh man, that's one of my biggest traffic pet peeves: people who think they're being nice by stopping in the middle of traffic to let somebody else go.

It can be a pedestrian trying to cross the street or a car pulling out of a parking lot. Even if it's me they're trying to be nice to, it drives me insane!

You're gonna get yourself rear ended by somebody who's not paying attention and then where will you be? There are stop signs and traffic rules for a reason.
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Working...
      X