X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38 mpg on the highway?
    My '63 VW Bug got 43 - at 70 mph.

I didn't sign up to be a spokesperson for Smart.
    Shop smart! Shop S-Mart! YA GOT THAT??!!
    I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
    - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Motorcylce's and Redlights

In the state of Virginia:
      Motorcycles may move with caution through non-responsive red lights after the shorter two complete cycles or 120 seconds; 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty, B.
      So if 120 seconds passes or two complete cycles, on my motorcycle, I can run a red light.

I have a Harley-Davidson Sportster, which is a smallish bike. So I usually never make it to the second cycle.

I rev my engine all the time, doesn't make much noise. Its only a "883", and still has stock pipes.

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
        My '63 VW Bug got 43 - at 70 mph.

Shop smart! Shop S-Mart! YA GOT THAT??!!
        My 06 diesel jetta gets 43 highway 41 city. <shrug> and I don't have to dick around with batteries that carry a serious hazmat burden. Cost me $16k us FOR A $20 something K car [I got it off lease, 3 years old 38K miles on it]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
          The Smart Car is actually one of the few cars I have a high level of disdain for. I was looking at it's fuel economy stats...38 mpg on the highway? My Focus gets that and my Focus is almost twice the size. If Ford, GM or Chrysler designed the Smart Car, they'd be crucified.
          Drive one. You won't change your mind.

Besides feeling like a Matchbox car, Smart is still very proprietary about their technology, so it has to be repaired at a dealer. It can get expensive.
          "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Lol. My civic gets 55-59mpg highway plus has sport suspension, 6 speed and 200hp to play with. I only know one guy with a smart car and he bought it because he lives in a big, densely populated city

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
              Drive one. You won't change your mind.

Besides feeling like a Matchbox car, Smart is still very proprietary about their technology, so it has to be repaired at a dealer. It can get expensive.
              Okay, thanks. I think I also saw on the EPA site that you're supposed to use premium with them.

Comment

Back when I had my small motorbike, I used to rev it at red lights. Not out of arseholery, or to make the lights change; just cuz the bike had an annoying habit of cutting out if it stayed stationary for a while in cold weather. XD I'd rev it gently with the brake on to stop it doing that cuz I didn't want to have to kickstart it at the lights.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth ringo View Post
                  I have a Harley-Davidson Sportster, which is a smallish bike.
                  That's like calling a U-haul with a 24 foot box a smallish truck. Compared to a 379 Pete with a 53 foot dry van, it is (just like your bike, compared to a full-size Harley, is smallish), but compared to a Ranger/Dakota/S-10 (or in your case, a 250-400 cc "metric" bike), it's big.

Sportsters are also available in a 1200 cc version - and I remember the days of "big" Harleys having 80 cubic inch engines (which would be around 1300 cc).
                  Last edited by wolfie; 01-19-2013, 09:23 PM. Reason: Like a moron, I effed up the closing quote.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Coincidentally, 1300cc was also the displacement of the Renault 25's engine. Even the estate (wagon) version. It was very much a utilitarian family car.

Comment

Working...
                    X