This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipped for being mistaken...or possibly insane

Before I begin I fully accept I'm probably at fault for playing along.

Quick background, I'm meeting my parents and relatives in New York for this Christmas, which generally means a few very high class restaurants are going to get visited while there. First on the list is Club 21 for a luncheon and carol service. Being what it is, I expected a few extra trimmings, in this case having an attendant in the bathroom (or, at the very least, a guy in the bathroom wearing a full uniform and name tag).

What I did not expect is what occurred between me and said attendant (A):

A: Ah welcome back! I was wondering when we would see you here again!

Me:...oh...uhh...Hello?

A: How is it being home again sir? Everything went well with the maiden voyage of the new yacht?

Me: (thinking he's gotta be confusing me with something else, but as I have somewhat severe social anxiety I can't bring myself to call him on it) Uhh...yeah fine. Think I picked the wrong time of year to head out, but she handled beautifully.

A: Splendid! *offers me cologne* So good of you to be getting out and enjoying your success. Not many people your age are able to enjoy such a great fortune.

Me: Yeaahhh..*takes some of the cologne*...luck and God certainly have smiled upon me.

A: As well they should! It's so nice of you to have grabbed one of those 737s for yourself too, now that they're being phased out. Did I ever tell you I'm an aviation enthusiast?

Me: No, I don't believe so.

A: Well I thought it was a real shame that they're starting to junk those planes. Been such a staple of the airline service for years and now they're just tossing them aside like garbage. Please tell me you'll do what you can to keep their memory alive.

Me: (getting increasingly uneasy and now trying to make a hasty exit) Well, I must confess I actually don't like to fly that much...kind of why I bought the yacht, (I spy the plate where tips are placed and frantically reach into my wallet) Could you....uhh..forgive me if I just kept it clean and preserved for now?

A: If you must. I completely understand.

Me: Thanks, I'm afraid I gotta go now. *I toss a bill onto the plate, he smiles.*

A: Of course, terribly sorry to have kept you. Have a lovely Christmas!

Me: (leaves promptly)

The punch line? I thought I'd grabbed a single with which to pay for my escape. Instead I later saw that I'd actually grabbed a bill from the back of my wallet which is where I keep the larger denominations. Meaning this guy got in the region of $10 - $20 for praising my flaunting of wealth I can't even dream of.

Mind you, considering the entertainment value I got out of that exchange, I believe the guy may have earned it.

Ok, maybe I'm just a cynic. But maybe he's discovered if he acts like he recognizs a person as someone very wealthy, and they play along, they'll tip really well so as not to look like a cheapskate and shatter the image?

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
      Ok, maybe I'm just a cynic. But maybe he's discovered if he acts like he recognizs a person as someone very wealthy, and they play along, they'll tip really well so as not to look like a cheapskate and shatter the image?
      Ah, you beat me to it! That would be quite the clever plan!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        Ah, you beat me to it! That would be quite the clever plan!
        lol.. that was my impression. f he gets it right he wins, if its wrong, hey just flattered some one. quite clever and innocuous.
        “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
        ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
        X