Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of totaled motorcycles, road rage, and finances (very long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of totaled motorcycles, road rage, and finances (very long)

Totaled Motorcycle

I never have luck with 2 wheeled vehicles. I was hit by a drunk driver in a hit and run on my bicycle as a college student. Feeling that that was behind me, my wife and I signed up and completed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginners Riding Course. I got my 'M' endorsement, and fell in love with a beautiful Yamaha V-Star.

My V-Star: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...25888033_n.jpg

I made payments on it and rode it daily for 2 glorious months. Then, one fateful day, I felt a desire to go for a long ride. Hop on, follow the road, and don't come home until I've exhausted a tank or two of gas. I expended a tank getting to a rather picturesque area, and, enjoying my ride, took my time along some twisties following Strawberry Reservoir. On one blind left turn, a truck came flying around the corner going way too fast for pulling a trailer, forcing me onto the tire width shoulder to dodge him. I was already going just under the speed limit, so I dropped another 10 off my 40MPH speed.

Not even a quarter mile up the road, a minivan came flying around a similar blind left corner, again forcing me onto the shoulder to dodge the blatant violation of lane boundaries.

This time, however, I couldn't quite ride the shoulder, and dropped off the road. My front tire dug in, and I was pitched off high side. As I flew past that minivan, I experienced that moment of clarity I've heard other bikers talk of, where the world slows, and everything is peaceful. As I landed on my elbows, I heard the minivan gun his engine. By the time I skidded to a stop, still entirely on my elbows, the offending driver was gone.

My first reaction was to lift the visor and swear as loudly as I could. I'm pretty sure people 2 states over heard my outburst. As I stood up, it occurred to me that my motorcycle jacket (mostly) did its job - I had a dime sized bit of road rash where I wore through the abrasive resistant material.

Then I saw the bike, smashed and laying in the ditch. If it weren't for a group of young guys in a truck, I'd have never gotten my bike back up on the road. Then came the daunting task of limping her home.

In the end, I injured my rotator cuff, and was miserable for a while before being able to come off narcotic pain killers. My jacket and bike were totaled, but my helmet never hit the ground, so it was just fine. Since my insurance company took the hit for this wreck, I was subject to a $500 deductible. After lien payoff and deductible, I got $84 for my bike I paid $4000 for. I racked up close to $1200 in medical bills as well, that I'm still fighting my medical insurance over. I still have no idea who ran me off the road.

Road Rage

I'm a concealed handgun permit holder. I carry my pistol daily, for the same reason I wear a seatbelt daily. I hope to hell I never have to use either, but I'm glad they're there. This day, I would have been justified in using the former, and came close to needing the latter. However, I was able to diffuse the situation with only pointing out its presence at my side.

I'm trying to get to a store, but people have boxed me in and refuse to let me by. I even passed my turn by 3 blocks in an ongoing effort to get to where I was going. Finally, I just gave up and tried to go home. As I work my way over to the turn lane, some crazed psycho tries to run me off the road. Too bad for her, I was already in the lane. I make my turn thinking nothing of it, and she follows me into my condo complex, tailgating me and honking the entire way. I drive around the complex hoping she'll leave me alone and not follow me home, but after 3 laps, it was obvious she wasn't going anywhere without me. After pulling up to my parking space, this hosebeast of a driver blocks me in, and jumps out, screaming at me and calling me names.

Driver: WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?! WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DRIVE LIKE THAT?! WHAT THE FUCK SORT OF GOOD MORMON DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?! *
    Me: ...
    Driver: *feigns a punch to my face, to which I respond to by blinking at her, and nothing else* WHAT ABOUT CTR**?! WAS IT RIGHT TO CUT ME OFF AND DRIVE LIKE THAT?!
    Me: ... Ma'am --
    Driver: *Feigns another punch to my face, this time getting more serious about the idea of actually hitting me* WELL?!
    Me: Ma'am --
    Driver: *Feigns another punch to my face, this time stopping mere inches from my nose before stomping around a bit.*
    Driver: *Decides she's just going to go for it, and dashes at me swinging*
    Me: *Takes a step back and reaches for his pistol*
    Driver: *Realizes what's about to happen if she actually attacks me, and stops.*
    Me: *Unclips thumb break and hovers hand over the grip, just to drive the point home. Especially given she wouldn't let me try to talk.*
    Driver: *Glares, then gets back into SUV and speeds off. On the back of her car was enough stick figure children that I couldn't get an exact child count before she was out of sight around the corner.*
    Me: Hoooo....ly...fuck.

*Note: I live in Utah County, Utah. About 80% of the population is LDS, so most assume you are, too.
    ** Also Note: Just like mainstream Christianity has 'WWJD', the LDS church has 'CTR' or 'choose the right'.

Finances...*sigh*

I told myself I'd not go back into customer support. But, after the medical bills, other debt, and my wife trying to finish school, I need a second job. So, I've dropped applications at a few places in the hopes to have a job soonish. I'll likely need the therapy of CS forums again soon. whee!
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

I'm a concealed handgun permit holder. I carry my pistol daily, for the same reason I wear a seatbelt daily. I hope to hell I never have to use either, but I'm glad they're there.

I agree with you there. You were well within your right, that woman following you home and all. She probably felt outraged! Outraged I say that YOU dared to be in the space that she wanted to occupy and that was obviously your fault for driving just to thwart her! Oh geeze, you think she had any of the kids in the car with her??
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      Oh geeze, you think she had any of the kids in the car with her??
      I sure as hell hope not, but it was a cloudy day, and her windows were tinted, so there's no telling for sure. I wish I had been able to get her plate number, but alas, no such luck.

Comment

I'm not familiar with laws in this area, but do you have any legal obligation to tell the police about what happened with that woman? It would be terrible if something happened to you because of that person's* entitlement complex.

*I'm using the term "person" loosely, of course.
        There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

My parents have 300-500K miles over the last 30 years and the worst they've confessed to are dumping the bike while doing esses in the grand parade at Wingding... and being charged by a grizzly when leaving the east side of Yellowstone.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Mr. Anubite View Post
            I'm not familiar with laws in this area, but do you have any legal obligation to tell the police about what happened with that woman?
            No, my pistol never left its holster, so there's nothing that needs be said to police. I merely unclipped the retention clip so it could be easily drawn if need be. Open carry is legal here, and essentially, that's all I changed to.

Comment

Working...
            X