This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autism advice (LONG explanation!)

So I have a Special Education placement next year (currently studying Special Ed at uni, by the time I graduate I'll be able to teach both mainstream AND special needs). My main areas of interest are teaching the vision/hearing impaired and those with learning difficulties. Although, for this placement, I am going to be doing something entirely different.

In my state, Special Education students are grouped into four categories:

Mainstream with support: usually students who are able to work in a mainstream classroom with accommodations. This might involve for example, a student who is hearing impaired relying on an interpreter or the teacher has an FM unit (basically a microphone headset that while the teacher is speaking, the student with the hearing aid can listen to the teacher's instructions over the din of the class). This may also include students who are mainstreamed, but occasionally pulled out of the class for extra services (i.e. speech therapy or social skills practice)

Special Class: Usually these students have an intellectual disability of some shape or form, although they can also accommodate students who are autistic or have other issues. These are classes that are part of a mainstream school and the students undertake lessons in everything apart from a second language (may be modified accordingly). The classes are grouped as K-2, 3-7 and 8-12 and are usually based according to district (meaning that the Education Department decides which students go into those classes and the school has to accept them). The K-2 class has no more than 8 students, the 3-7/8-12 classes have no more than 12 students.

Special Unit: These are also attached to a school, but accommodate students with severe or multple disabilities. Unlike the Special Classes, these students are a larger mix of anything from severely vision impaired, to also physically disabled and mentally disabled. These are usually grouped as R-7 and 8-12. For some incredibly stupid reason, the "units" also include programs such as the Hearing Impaired programs run by a few schools, despite the fact that in some cases, the hearing impaired students are mainstreamed. (in the mainstreamed case, the classroom consisted of a team teaching setup, involving the class teacher, a teacher of the deaf plus two student support officers to facilitate conversation)

Special School: As it says on the can. Unlike the other two however, these can also form a mix of students with intellectual difficulties, autism, severe behaviours, vision/hearing impaired and so on. We currently have 1 school specifically for the blind in this state (which provides support to vision impaired students throughout the state), as well as one school that specifically caters for physical disabilities only (from memory). Usually the students here have much more significant disabilities than the students in the other three categories.

Students are also assessed by the Education Department before they start school and after that when both the parents and teachers request it. (Generally though, the teacher needs to collect a history) They are then grouped into one (or more) of the following categories: Autism, Intellectual Disability/Global Developmental Delay (the former applies to kids older than 7, the latter applies to kids 7 and younger), Hearing Impairment, Vision Impairment, Speech/Language Impairment.

Anyway, my placement for next year is in the Special Class. Specifically, a K-2 class. I have been informed that a number of students in that class are autistic to varying degrees. I have been reading about autism and teaching in a special class and have picked up some ideas, but I would like to hear some more from the forum.

So my questions are:

-What should I expect in the classroom?
    -Is there anything I should/shouldn't do? (more subtle things that may or may not overstimulate them, things that might sail over their heads etc.)
    -What would be some logical steps I can do in the meantime until my placement starts?
    Last edited by fireheart; 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Logical step:

Contact an autism carers' association; and talk to them. Consider asking if you can attend a social function if they have one between now and the start of the school year.
    Ask if there's a parent/carer or a group of same who would be happy to discuss their childrens' needs with you.

Well, that's where I'd start.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'd also talk to your department head or professors to see if they have any suggestions on where you could offer assistance. The same for those in charge of your placement, see if they will allow you to go in and shadow for a day or more.

The suggestion for an association or support group is a really good one.

Comment

As part of my placement (my mainstream friends do this too!), I am attending a planning day before the start of the school year and I also do ten days in term 1 as part of my planning. The principal at the school has no problem with me coming in on top of that.

Admittedly, my concern with me coming in is that I'll confuse the students since unlike my previous placement, I am coming in and teaching lessons right from the word go. This also runs for six weeks instead of four. Apparently I'll also be spending some time with the 3-7 class (the school is a K-7 school) but I'm not sure what's happening there as of yet.

The setup though is going to consist of three classrooms: a K-2 classroom, a 3-7 classroom and a sensory play area in between. That room also has a time-out area where if a kid has a meltdown, he/she can sit in there and have it without being further overloaded or disturbed. The one thing that disturbed me slightly at the time was the fenced-off area for the special needs students in the playground. I am hoping that they will have placed some equipment in there by the time school starts. (this is an area set aside from the playground. The principal did assure me that eventually they'll be able to integrate the kids into the main playground area )
        Last edited by fireheart; 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM.

Comment

A good idea would be to provide the school with a photo of yourself which they can show the students, so they know who you are and why you're there.

My son attends a special school for kids with autism, and once a week they have a session which is handled by other teachers while the regular teachers have a meeting. They made sure that the students were VERY well-informed before the first "switch" happened.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I would second suggestions about finding out about Autism; I would also ask advice from teachers at the school who work with the kids; they can offer valuable advice, especially on how to tell when an issue with a kid is due to their difficulties.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
              A good idea would be to provide the school with a photo of yourself which they can show the students, so they know who you are and why you're there.

My son attends a special school for kids with autism, and once a week they have a session which is handled by other teachers while the regular teachers have a meeting. They made sure that the students were VERY well-informed before the first "switch" happened.
              That might be a good idea. I'm going to have a haircut soon, so I will get a photo afterwards.

Other question....would wearing brightly patterned clothing be too much for them to process?

Comment

Not sure on bright colors, but I would find out about any personal quirks. I have a cousin that is autistic and hates the color red. If you're wearing red then you are EVIL!

I exaggerate a bit, but he won't talk to you if you have red on. He won't eat red foods. Candy, tomatoes, ketchup, anything red he refuses to eat.

I've worked with two autistic children in my own placements that were high functioning enough to be in mainstream classes. One just HAD to tell you an interesting fact that he knew about whatever I was teaching. The compromise was he had to wait until silent work/reading time to tell us, but he got to tell us ONE thing.

The other was a worrier. Constantly had to be reassured he was doing things correct and was always sure his answer was wrong. Not much different from normal students in that sense, but it made test taking very hard for him.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                  Not sure on bright colors, but I would find out about any personal quirks. I have a cousin that is autistic and hates the color red.
                  I will definitely find these out. What I was thinking was for example, I have a blue dress with what appears to be shades of blue paint splotches all over it. I also have a dress that is purple, blue and green but not in any order. I own maybe two dresses that are plain colours and I also tend to wear skirts and t-shirts. (More for practical reasons)

Obviously my shirts are not going to be anything inappropriate. And by that time, I will probably be wearing a bolero.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    ... And by that time, I will probably be wearing a bolero.
                    Will that be Beck's Bolero?
                    [/Scurries back to the 60s]
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am already drafting up a letter of introduction to the parents, explaining who I am and what I will be doing in the classroom for Terms 1 and 2. (Term 1 I will be there as support, Term 2 I will be there as a teacher, depending on what happens in Terms 3 and 4, I might be continuing on as a volunteer) I'm also planning on including a PECS card of myself with a head-and-shoulders shot to show the kids, even those who are capable of speech, who I am and incorporate it into their daily schedules. (i.e. "Miss Lock is now going to teach <activity>")

As far as contacting groups go, I am going to contact Autism SA for more information, as well as Novita. Both groups run support programs for autistic kids at school and the latter runs an early intervention program for kids around the age level that I'll be teaching.

One thing I am grateful for, is that in order for the students to be mainstreamed in a Special Class, they need to be capable of certain independent behaviours (i.e. they need to be toilet trained and capable of feeding themselves). While I know it's something I'll come across when I'm teaching, for the purposes of placement, I'd prefer to focus on establishing strategies.

Comment

Back when I was a substitute teacher, I often subbed in the special ed rooms (sadly, I was one of the few subs who could actually work with the students and not get all freaked or weirded out), one of which was a classroom of 3 severely autistic boys (all nonverbal, all wearing diapers). I quickly learned not to wear my hair down or to wear any jewelry they could get ahold of as one boy very much liked to grab hair/earrings/necklaces and pull and NOT LET GO. Had to be rescued once, which was embarrassing. Same boy would bite and scratch you if he got the chance, but for the most part was a very sweet kid. Another boy you had to keep an eye on because he would poop in his diaper, then reach in and get some out to play with or throw around the room. Also very sweet otherwise. I don't remember much about the other boy as I mostly worked with these 2.
                        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                          Back when I was a substitute teacher, I often subbed in the special ed rooms (sadly, I was one of the few subs who could actually work with the students and not get all freaked or weirded out), one of which was a classroom of 3 severely autistic boys (all nonverbal, all wearing diapers). I quickly learned not to wear my hair down or to wear any jewelry they could get ahold of as one boy very much liked to grab hair/earrings/necklaces and pull and NOT LET GO. Had to be rescued once, which was embarrassing. Same boy would bite and scratch you if he got the chance, but for the most part was a very sweet kid. Another boy you had to keep an eye on because he would poop in his diaper, then reach in and get some out to play with or throw around the room. Also very sweet otherwise. I don't remember much about the other boy as I mostly worked with these 2.
                          Ew thanks. I'll keep those in mind.

My hair is already about shoulder length, but I'm going to get it cut soon anyway. I'll ask for a cut that I can wear down or at least with a headband. (that isn't completely pixie either) I don't wear earrings, so my necklace might be the only issue.

As far as the pooping stuff goes, I might ask for advice. I only have 8 kids and there will be me, my mentor teacher plus 1 or 2 SSO's at all times (one of whom scares the crap outta me: from what I hear though, she mostly works with the special needs kids who can be mainstreamed). Then again, I did get warned that I would be running the whole gamut from mild to severe.

I guess it depends on who the Education Department decides to send to us (kids at age 4 go through an assessment for school, plus if they have already been diagnosed with something like autism, they are further assessed to determine if they're eligible for a special school, special unit or special class).

Comment

I'd also suggest that you ask your mentor teacher about the students and their individual quirks/symptoms - who's sensitive about certain colors/patterns/sounds, who's having a problem with concentration (some high-functioning persons with Autism can have ADD as a second diagnosis), who's gonna break havoc and/or hit you or other students if something is not as the kid is used to, etc.

And also, how to deal with that - various' kids' various problems need various solutions and techniques. And if you already beforehand know that you can "defuse" an aggravated kid that is just about to explode because you know what calms him/her down, it'll be a lot easier for you to be "the new one".
                            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
                            X