This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Sunday

Each Sunday the store I work at gives a discount to people 55 and older. The thing is, it is tricky to know how old people are. I have tryed many different ways to give out this discount, but everyone responds to each way differently and every time I manage to offend someone.

Examples:

Me: Do you qualify for our senior discount?
    C: No, do I really look that old.

Me: *Just give discount to someone.*
    C: Did you give me my discount? * I already rang person up*
    Me: Yep.
    C: Oh, whats that supposed to mean?
    Me: Uhh...

Senior: Is today dicount day
    Me" Yes it is!

The best way is for the customer to ask for the discount but many dont know about it, so if I miss one and they find out about later they want the discount I have to return everything and rering it with the discount.

Honesty, I'm starting to just give it the anyone who looks old, but people will still be offended no matter what I do. I hate Senior Sunday.
    Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
    - Charlie Chaplin

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
    - Captain Jack Sparrow

Have you read any of Irv's older posts? He's got quite a few Senior Day stories he'd be happy to share. My condolences to you.

(pun intended)
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Most stores I shop at have prominent signs for senior discounts/days, so no excuse for not knowing about them (oh, yeah, forgot where i was for a moment). One even issues little cards after seeing your ID, so from then on you just show that to get your discount. Personally, I'll take any discount they want to give me, even if it implies I look old, but I guess some people do get upset (I recall my sister wasn't very happy when a restaurant gave her the discount when she was still in her 40's, LOL). So it has to be a minefield, knowing no discount for those qualified = SC, yet simply asking if they qualify (or giving it without asking) can also get an SC reaction from some.

My pet peeve, though, are stores that have big "senior discount" posters all over, but never say what they consider a senior - I've seen it anywhere from 55 to 65 to qualify. I now get discounts at a few places, but not at others, it would be nice to easily know which ones I do or do not qualify for.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        Have you read any of Irv's older posts? He's got quite a few Senior Day stories he'd be happy to share. My condolences to you.

(pun intended)
        Haven't had to work one of those in a while, at least not in a customer-service capacity.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Things like this make me glad that Roger's automatically takes off the discount when you use your customer card (or type in the accompanying phone number when you don't have the card).

That's only in the self-checkout though, which we always use.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

One of the mangers I used to work with would ask" Do you qualify for our wisdom discount?" Most people would chuckle.
            What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

SENIOR???

At 55???

Uh...erm....ah....I'll just...be over here...................(hides)
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth lvsssycat View Post
                One of the mangers I used to work with would ask" Do you qualify for our wisdom discount?" Most people would chuckle.
                Lay some wisdom on me, my brethren!
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                X