This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Midnight12 View Post
    the computer radiator (yeah i know, there are radiators in comps now) ran dry and was leaking,
    Ah, so it's a water cooled system. Now see, this is information that we need.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yes, probably a photo of the insides would have helped to reveal that. Ah well.

For my own part, I'm about to replace a dead PSU. It's a few years old, has no visually obvious faults, and simply refuses to switch on any more. It wasn't a dirt cheap one either - I don't buy those in the first place - although it was a lesser-known brand. A look inside reveals at least one visibly bulging capacitor.

And recently I also replaced the heatsink compound in my 5-year-old MacBook Pro. Not a job for the faint-hearted, but successful.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        YFor my own part, I'm about to replace a dead PSU. It's a few years old, has no visually obvious faults, and simply refuses to switch on any more. It wasn't a dirt cheap one either - I don't buy those in the first place - although it was a lesser-known brand. A look inside reveals at least one visibly bulging capacitor.
        This probably doesn't apply in your case, but if there's even one ISA slot in the system, be sure to get a PSU that can handle it. Newer power supplies can't handle ISA - there's one voltage supply line (I believe it's the -12V line) that's used on ISA slots and nothing else, and newer PSUs don't have it.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It doesn't have an ISA slot (it's an early PCIe board), but I checked the PSU label anyway, and it does claim to supply -12V at several watts. I haven't seen any that leave it out, either - it's part of the ATX standard, after all, even if nothing uses it any more.

I do have a few machines with ISA slots, but two of them are so old that they have AT boards and PSUs, and the other is running on a good-quality supply from the early ATX era.

I also have several machines with NuBus slots. I'm waiting for a shipment of PRAM batteries to bring those back to life.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post

So by all means get the watercooler repaired and refilled - or replaced with a conventional heatsink if you prefer - but don't bother changing the PSU, that's not necessary.
            pretty much what we were going to do, replace the heatsink and such. cause I am bugged by the whole why is the power supply an issue now. just going to remove the water cooler radiator thing

and you lost me now....uhm...the person who took a good long look at the computer researched the needed parts by what we need cost and all that and gave us the info and all we had to do was pay for the parts and were good to go and he would install them. the hold up is no money...but erm...yeah sorry you lost me on the lingo now
            Last edited by Midnight12; 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X