This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYE sigitings

last night i drove 300 Km (return) to do new years twice. my state doesn't do summer time, but the state to the south of us does (i'm a Queenslander from Brisbane and i drove to tweed heads for those who know Australia)

what i do is i drive just across the border, watch the midnight fireworks (11pm my time), drive to a major beach, just make it, park and watch the midnight fireworks there.

well because the beach is right next to a pretty major road police erected unmanned barricades every 100 or so meters on the road blocking traffic on the beach side of the road making the road one way.

this didn't really bother people who were coming the other way anyway who would just drive around the barricades, into oncoming traffic and back into the lane.
    i almost got hit a number of times (i was on the correct side of the road)

next there was the guy who almost ploughed into the side of me. i was going along the motorway in the left most lane (we drive on the left here in Australia) - he was merging into my lane and decided to race me. too bad for him i didn't see him until he blew his horn at me.
    it was too late as i couldn't let him in anyway - and the law says he must give way to me as i am already on the motorway.

finally, we have what my paramedic friends call a future passenger. i was on the speed limit of 110 Kmh (68 Mph) and this motorbike just absolutely flew past me. i didn't see him until it was too late - good thing i wasn't changing lanes at the time. my estimation was he was going 180 Kph (110 mph). stupid thing to do new years eve
    The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

I think the more common term is "future organ donor".

Motorcyclists tend to believe that their machine is more agile than a car. Well, it accelerates faster and can fit through smaller spaces, but it can neither turn nor brake anywhere near as well - and certainly not without preparation. What that means is that if something unexpected happens, the bike needs *more* time to react than a car does - but by going faster, they often give themselves *less* time.

And then if they hit - or are hit by - anything solid, they will go flying whereas being in a car would provide significant protection.

I don't intend to get a motorcycle licence, ever - but those of you who do, ride safely please.

Comment

Working...
    X