This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check woes

This story reminded me of a tale of woe from my retail days.

Our store had one of those nifty check scanners. We could run a check in much the same way as you could run a debit card. You have the customer hand us a check, our register would print the business name and the amount, the customer would sign it and our credit card/check machine would scan the check, see if the money was available, have the money debited, void the check and we would hand it back to the customers for their records.

Easy as pie and the customer's loved it.

One day however the device ended up on the floor. The shelf it was sitting on fell and it hit the floor hard with the shelf right behind it. Between the fall and the shelf hitting it, it no longer worked for checks. It still worked for credit/debit cards but the check scanning function went boots-up.

The company was going to send us another unit overnight delivery but still they couldn't get a working one for 24 hours.

We put up a sign - People complained that it was not large enough.

Put up a bigger sign - People complained that it was not in a location where people looked.

Moved sign to door - People still complained.

Took out the neon soap-based window sign paint and used big, foot tall letters proclaiming that the check machine was down and that we could not take checks today AND since it was the neon colored markers...I backlit the damn thing with a couple of black-light bulbs to make it REALLY stand out - Had a person come in 5 minuted after I finished and ask "Do you take checks?"

My boss (the owner) actually looked at him and asked him "Did you not see the big-ass sign on the window?" To which the customer replied "I saw the guy put it up. I was just wondering if it had been fixed yet?"

My boss face-palmed and walked off muttering in Chinese. I know some of those words...he was pissed.
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
    Took out the neon soap-based window sign paint and used big, foot tall letters proclaiming that the check machine was down and that we could not take checks today AND since it was the neon colored markers...I backlit the damn thing with a couple of black-light bulbs to make it REALLY stand out - Had a person come in 5 minuted after I finished and ask "Do you take checks?"
    This description makes me think of this:

"Are you open?"
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
      Haha, I love it! I wish we could do that, but alas we probably won't.
      Just goes to show these types of people are EVERYWHERE. Why cant we get away?
      Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
      - Charlie Chaplin

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
      - Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

Working...
      X