This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three rude remarks

So we are still selling those ginormous gift bags, which I have been struggling to bag at the front lanes for a week and a half, on counters with not nearly enough space. I probably don't have to bag them, but it's easier for the customers.
    On the way up this older couple went to the wrong side and she said something about they were going the wrong way. I don't know if she was talking to me or her hubs; I had my back to them doing something. Anyway, when they go turned around I said hi and started ringing them up. I scanned a couple items and then he handed me the gift bags, which was good; I could get them in the bag first and work around them.

--Strike one: I put a greeting card in the fold of the gift bag so as to keep it flat and protect it from getting crumpled up or lost. The husband said, "Don't put that in there like that; it will get wrecked." OK, I've been doing this 6 years, but whatever floats his boat. I took it out and while I still had it in hand he asked, "Could I put it in her purse?" "Sure," I answered. If it made them happy, then ok.
    --Strike 2: Well, apparently it didn't make the wife happy. I went to slide something over and a packaged battery-opperated lantern fell off the counter. OK, it was totally an accident and right away I said sorry. I felt bad; I was just trying to bag all their stuff, which was all over the counter. The wife said, "Well, maybe we should go somewhere else." If she was kidding, I couldn't tell. It sounded critical and sarcastic to me. I ignored the remark.
    Strike 3: Right after that the hubs said that out of the 4 of the lanterns on the shelf, 3 were broken. Maybe he was trying to make me feel better by saying that they break easily. I really had no problem with him; he wasn't being rude like her. I started to say that maybe it was because they topple over easily, but didn't get to say it because she said about me in front of me "She's not very friendly, is she?" Um, what??? I didn't even say anything yet!
    Whatever; I finished the transaction silently and without outward reaction. I wasn't gonna give her the satisfaction.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I really hate how some people treat cashiers and other store employees as if they were robots or something. How rude that woman was...ugh. Super picky, too.

At least you can take comfort in the fact that you're not a sourpuss like she is!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had someone do the 'not very friendly' thing at me before. I grabbed my notebook, scribbled
      LARYNGITIS
      Mute, Not Deaf
      in big letters and held it up. She backed down.
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

When I worked at the Monkey's Ward, I would get treated like a little robot when someone wanted a part or bringing in a product. Then I was accused of not being "friendly." Umm.. what? You didn't give me a chance to even greet you, before you started making demands!

*sigh* If they could have gotten the robo-clerk to work correctly, they'd have it working the counter, not me! Problem was that after the second stupid question in a row, the poor thing went psychotic and started shoving people's tongues into their ears. Sorry tech dudes, you can't program a tolerance for stupidity.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          When I worked at the Monkey's Ward, I would get treated like a little robot when someone wanted a part or bringing in a product. Then I was accused of not being "friendly." Umm.. what? You didn't give me a chance to even greet you, before you started making demands!

*sigh* If they could have gotten the robo-clerk to work correctly, they'd have it working the counter, not me! Problem was that after the second stupid question in a row, the poor thing went psychotic and started shoving people's tongues into their ears. Sorry tech dudes, you can't program a tolerance for stupidity.
          That's not psychotic, that's just a good idea.

Robot: "Listen to yourself!" *shoves customer's tongue into his ear* "Now do you understand how stupid you sound?"
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
          X