This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric Store Brain Farts

Allo, longtime lurker, occasional commenter Reo The Retail Monkey here.
    Now, most of the suckage an fail I get thru my shop is reasonably niche stuff- you'd have to know a lil bit about sewing and such in order to understand what the fail is with the bulk of them.
    Because of that, I don't often get something happen with a broad enough scope of appeal to make it worth posting.
    But this one's good to share, because to understand this one, you only need to know how wearing clothing works.

Me- the Monkey herself
    WDL- White dress lady

I wander down to our back shelves where the clearance fabrics are, to ask a lady there if she needs help. She's got two fabrics half off the shelf for further inspection- some olive green stuff that looks like someone crocheted it out of caterpillars, and some beige lace which suits just about nobody.

Me- "How you getting on there?"
    WDL- "Oh hi! I could use your opinion love! " (shows me fabrics, then produces her dress pattern and a sample of fabric.) "I'm making this- (simple summer dress) out of this fabric- (thin white, semi-sheer fabric). I tried it on halfway thru to check the fit and my son said. 'Oh Mum, you can see thru it!' So I thought I might use one of these over the top to make it less see-thru. Which one do you think, and how would I do it? I've already half finished it, and I'm not sure of the best way to add the overlay on?"

Now, sometimes in ya job, you have to talk people into a sale. Sometimes, of course- and this seems to happen to me more often- you have to talk people out of a sale. That stuff would have been ugly as sin, and spoiled the whole dress. Not only that- it was completely unnecessary.

Me- "Can't you just make a little slip dress to wear under it, so it's not see-thru?"
    WDL- "Like- a petticoat? Oh, I have one of those! Do you think that will work?"
    Me- (*Facepalm* - Gee, isn't that what a petticoat/underslip is FOR?)"Yeah, I think that will work perfectly! Just a white or skin colured slip is all you need!"
    WDL- "Would a black one work?"

Sure lady, whatever. Yanno, I worked out that white usually = transparent when I was ELEVEN. Then I started wearing white tshirts under my white school blouse so the boys would stop staring at my chest. I guess you never made that connection, huh?

Anyway, she left super happy. Yay me?
    Last edited by rapana1; 01-05-2013, 05:57 AM. Reason: puntuation
    Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
    It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Quoth rapana1 View Post
    Now, sometimes in ya job, you have to talk people into a sale. Sometimes, of course- and this seems to happen to me more often- you have to talk people out of a sale.
    Fellow fabric store employee here! Yes, I've had to talk a few people out of sales too. Usually people starting a first sewing project and buying the most expensive, most difficult-to-work-with fabric when something simpler and cheaper would work much better.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Even if she was determined to make the overlay, why would she go for olive green?? Beige lace I could see, maybe....

But really, your suggestion was much better.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Lol Xcashier, the teenage girls that come in- "I wanna make a dress!" Never sewed before- only want to use chiffon. Unimpressed by cute printed cotton which they might actually have a hope in hell of working with successfully.
        Also, if I had a dollar for every time I was asked the question- "Is that all the buttons you have?"... I wouldn't just be making minimum wage. Xp
        Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
        It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Working...
        X