This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I get a little Windows 8 help?

This was unplanned, this computer purchase. My dogs were playing yesterday, and, long story short, it ended in one of them being flung into my lap and tearing the screen off my windows 7 netbook, which was essential equipment for school. So it had to be replaced immediately.

But now I've got this Windows 8 thing, and I have no clue what I'm doing with it. And it's not helping that about 3 hours after this all happened, I had emergency surgery so I'm trying to do semester finals while I'm recovering, on a mandatory ice-cream-only diet (such a hardship, I know) with a computer that seems to function on Star Trek technology far too advanced for me to comprehend.

So here's my deal... I have no clue how I'm supposed to organize myself and my stuff on this thing. How I used Win7 was, I would put most everything on the desktop, and used folders to organize however made sense to me. It sounds insane but I only had about 20 folders, everything that was on the computer was stuff I used, I'm not the sort to hoard documents from 1995... and so that was that. My school folder was all pdf's and word processing documents, folders for my sisters were far more eclectic in terms of file extensions... you probably get the idea. And I just can't figure out how the organization works on this new system, or where my files go, or anything. Anybody got some thoughts, tips, a good how-to video for newbie users..? Thanks so much for any thoughts... I think it's just the pain of healing messing with me, but I am so completely at my wits end, and I cannot think how to find the info to answer my own questions.

My advice with Win8 is to upgrade to Win7 post-haste.

Alternatively, Linux Mint is easier to learn than Win8 is.

Comment

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2012/...assic-desktop/

Comment

Having installed 8 on two of my laptops I understand your pain. What I end up doing is clicking the bottom left icon (s/b labelled "desktop") and running it almost 7-like. You have to remember that the content in the old Windows button in the bottom left is now in a hot spot at the top right. It took me almost 20 minutes to figure out how to shut down. I actually went back to 7 on one of them, 8 didn't have drivers I needed.

Comment

Look at this Article

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...my-start-menu/

It is the ONLY way I can tolerate windows 8, and I am an early adopter of Operating systems.
          There Can Be Only One

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
            http://arstechnica.com/information-t...my-start-menu/

It is the ONLY way I can tolerate windows 8, and I am an early adopter of Operating systems.
            Nice... Glad someone brought that back!

(Although one of the images for Retro UI nearly made me do a Rule 1 violation since the text of the headline in the Bing window has been cut off and makes the headline sound very different from the actual intention! )
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
            X