This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*crosses Brisbane off places in Aussie to consider moving to*
    Ok, I think that just leaves... Melbourne. Now who's gonna tell me what's scary there?
    Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
    It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Quoth rapana1 View Post
      Ok, I think that just leaves... Melbourne. Now who's gonna tell me what's scary there?
      Well, according to The Librarian's exhaustive research on "Not-Dangerous Flora and Fauna of The Last Continent" the answer is... *SOME* of the sheep.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth rapana1 View Post
        Hey what about Adelaide?

Also, Melbourne isn't that scary..l
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

If you guessed D, you're right. On top of that, the kid starts screaming and jumping up and down once on the hot pavers because well, they ARE hot. Mum chooses to smack him for crying and making a fuss. The spanking wasn't the issue for me, it was more how she handled it.
          So she hit him for complaining about being in pain?

plus also driving in thongs.
          My mind hit the gutter.
          cos I'm not thinking about footwear

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            Story the second:

Not a bad sighting, but an unusual one.

While I was waiting for my friend to put her stuff in the car, this guy walks past. Now I've seen him out and about a few times in public usually dressed in some mishmash of clothing. He always greets the girls with "Hey beautiful" or "you're gorgeous" but we think he has a minor intellectual disability of some sort. Lovely guy though.

Today he was wearing a full-on superman costume. Complete with padded muscles.
            We've got one of those here. He stands in front of Dairy Queen doing his superman thing. He used to have the full costume, but he got way too big for it, so he just wears the cape now. He also has a website, but it's very offensive, so I won't share the link.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth rapana1 View Post
              Well - I live there.
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

What about Perth?

Agreed, you put your watch back 3 hours and your brain back 30 years, and it closes down at 6pm every night, but other than that it's quite pleasent.

And the sand wave? Bah, that's nothing! Wait until you see your first aussie mouse plague!

Or better yet, a rabbit migration! Now THAT'S stuff to watch for!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  So she hit him for complaining about being in pain?
                  "You want me to show you a little trick to get your mind off that pain? Now, you might feel a little bit of pressure."

SC
                  "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                    What about Perth?

Agreed, you put your watch back 3 hours and your brain back 30 years, and it closes down at 6pm every night, but other than that it's quite pleasent.

And the sand wave? Bah, that's nothing! Wait until you see your first aussie mouse plague!

Or better yet, a rabbit migration! Now THAT'S stuff to watch for!
                    OK, I just went and looked up 'mouse plague'. Ewww. Is this another one of those things where the local predators are insufficient? That's quite a problem!
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Let's see....

Adelaide does not have plagues.
                      Our temperatures are fairly normal...going from around 30C in summer to 18C in winter.
                      We get a fairly decent rainfall.
                      Very few huge disasters have happened in the metropolitan area (there have been bushfires in the regional and rural centres though)
                      Our taxes are fairly decent.
                      We have a very nice education system.
                      We also have some of the greatest beaches down here (I'm bragging but seriously...)

Comment

Let's see....

Our temperatures are fairly normal...going from around 30C in summer to 18C in winter.
                        Very few huge disasters have happened in the metropolitan area (there have been bushfires in the regional and rural centres though)
                        We also have some of the greatest beaches down here (I'm bragging but seriously...)
                        The only real problem is the South Australians you'd be surrounded by.
                        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Let's see....

Do you have DCS or some equivilant? Becuse that sure sounds like child abuse to me.
                          Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                            OK, I just went and looked up 'mouse plague'. Ewww. Is this another one of those things where the local predators are insufficient? That's quite a problem!
                            Mice are an introduced species in Australia. That goes for any placental mammal because the only mammals native to Australia are marsupials. Rabbits, mice, horses, camels, and cats have all gone wild in Australia and interfere with the ecosystem.

As to why there aren't native predators that have adapted to mouse-eating -- I dunno. Maybe all the native animals in that niche, like quolls and thylacines, are either extinct or on their way to it, and there just aren't enough of them around to keep up.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                              The only real problem is the South Australians you'd be surrounded by.
                              Oh ha.

Oh har har har.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
                                Mice are an introduced species in Australia. That goes for any placental mammal because the only mammals native to Australia are marsupials. Rabbits, mice, horses, camels, and cats have all gone wild in Australia and interfere with the ecosystem.

As to why there aren't native predators that have adapted to mouse-eating -- I dunno. Maybe all the native animals in that niche, like quolls and thylacines, are either extinct or on their way to it, and there just aren't enough of them around to keep up.
                                I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the placental mammal that's done the most damage to the ecosystem in Australia.

One case I heard about some years back (don't know if it was Australia) involving a mouse plague, the overpopulation of mice got going before the weather warmed up, which would have shaken the predators (mostly snakes) out of their winter stupor. The mice wound up eating them in their burrows - which of course meant that the predators weren't available to control the mouse population in the summer.
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X