This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renter's insurance

Now that I've moved, I'm going to need some. Does anybody have strong feelings either way about a particular company?
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Talk to a insurance broker in your area. They will be able to get you the best deal.

Comment

While I've been with my company for almost 30 years, that doesn't mean you'd be satisfied with it. I think you should do some comparison shopping, and check out complaints and how they were resolved with the Insurance Board before choosing a company.

But I definitely recommend renter's insurance. It will protect you if your place burns down (your landlords insurance will NOT cover your possessions), or if you get burglarized. It's cheap, and if you bundle it with your car insurance, you can usually get a deal.

It won't cover guns, expensive jewelry or some other items, so ask a lot of questions from the agent about what is covered, and what is not. You can pay a little extra for a rider if you need to.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Um, I've been comparison shopping, I've had renter's insurance before, I know my landlord's insurance doesn't cover my stuff, I know it's important to have it.

BTW, all the companies I've looked at do have firearms included in their policies. I don't have any firearms, but I can't unselect it while I'm doing the quote online. It just comes. So does jewelry, furs, computers, etc. I've been filling out quotes online for two days.

All the quotes I've gotten are in the $14 to $18 a month range. They're all so comparable that I was just looking for a tiebreaker.

I was just looking for somebody to say "OMG, these guys were terrible!" or "I had a great experience with X when my house was broken into."
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I don't know if you're eligible, but USAA has provided consistently excellent customer service and quality coverage for me.

Comment

Yeah USAA usually offers the best rates on almost anything. In this case its just a matter of how much coverage and for what price your willing to pay. Despite my love of USAA I go through Allstate and pay $19 a month for $20k in coverage.

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
              Um, I've been comparison shopping, I've had renter's insurance before, I know my landlord's insurance doesn't cover my stuff, I know it's important to have it.
              That wasn't clear from your OP, which is why I gave the answer I did.

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
              I was just looking for somebody to say "OMG, these guys were terrible!" or "I had a great experience with X when my house was broken into."
              I'm hesitant to give this kind of recommendation; everyone has different experiences with insurance. For what it's worth, I've been with State Farm for 30 years. I'm with them because when I started driving my parents used them; I used their agent and stuck with the company. They've done all right by me.

Then again, I have a very good friend who hates State Farm and would never use them; she uses USAA.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
              X