This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guided meditation halp!

So I'm looking at doing some guided meditations and having them on my laptop or iPad to calm me down whenever I'm overwhelmed.

I have a couple that I scrounged from Youtube, but can someone please point me in the right direction of some GOOD relaxation websites with audio downloads?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Try searching for "self hypnosis scripts" then record them in your own voice. It works better if it is your own voice.
    Have you been hypnotised before? If so, use the induction that worked the best then record the script.
    If not, consider booking an appointment and let them know that what you want is a self recorded relaxation script to take home for yourself (most places will include that when asked). If you don't have the funds (typically $60 - $125 a session) look around and see if there is a school near you because the students have to put in several hours practicing on clients to get their certification - if you are brave enough to be the demo person in class then you get to have the teacher demo on you.

This is what is most effective for me to calm me down:
    Practice visualizing your "safe place" and attach it to a picture / image or small physical movement (like touching your thumb to your forefinger) so you can do a "mini" session when you need it. This is how I get thru flights for example - by going in and out of my "safe place" several times during the trip.

Comment

I've been vaguely working through the below site. I'm personally having problems with them because I feel like I'm *relearning* stuff I already know from when I was a kid and I'm getting impatient with myself.

I just have too much going on right now I think. I *think* they are generally good - they hit the right resonances with me, I'm just not in the right place.

http://download.meditation.org.au/guidedmeditations.asp

I've not tried to use them for calming me down though - I tend to find a repetitive but soothing piece of music if that.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Ok, so question:

The last few times I have been undertaking a guided meditation or trying to meditate myself, I have felt this sensation like I'm being covered in a blanket from head to toe. Is this normal?

Comment

Not for me.

The only thing that I can think of is that rather than removing the physical world from around you or stepping out of it to another plane as such, and clearing stuff away from you mentally, you are mentally setting yourself up as 'hiding' from the physical world whilst trying to meditate (hence the blanket).

If you have a friend who does meditations etc too then its worth trying to do one together and see if you feel the same (or even if she 'senses' anything off during the session). I have a good friend who managed to help me clear something that was causing me problems this way. YMMV.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

fireheart:

That is one of the possible sensations from meditation. As long as it's calming and feels 'okay', it's fine. Don't think of 'normal' so much as 'normal for me'.

As for sources of meditation tapes: try the ABC shops.

(Note for non-Aussies: ABC is our national broadcaster. Equivalent of BBC.)
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
              Not for me.

The only thing that I can think of is that rather than removing the physical world from around you or stepping out of it to another plane as such, and clearing stuff away from you mentally, you are mentally setting yourself up as 'hiding' from the physical world whilst trying to meditate (hence the blanket).

If you have a friend who does meditations etc too then its worth trying to do one together and see if you feel the same (or even if she 'senses' anything off during the session). I have a good friend who managed to help me clear something that was causing me problems this way. YMMV.
              I'll keep this in mind.

I tried it again last night while I was trying to go to sleep and I discovered that the sensation was stronger around my arms, then moving up from my legs.

Comment

We actually have six senses, not five. The sixth is the sense that tells us the position our body is in, and the state of all the muscles, bones, etc.

Your 'blanket' sensation is how your own, personal, brain/mind interprets it when the sixth sense reports 'everything's in a relaxed state'.

Quite possibly this is because you're only usually in a relaxed state when you're in bed - thus blankets.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  We actually have six senses, not five. The sixth is the sense that tells us the position our body is in, and the state of all the muscles, bones, etc.

Your 'blanket' sensation is how your own, personal, brain/mind interprets it when the sixth sense reports 'everything's in a relaxed state'.

Quite possibly this is because you're only usually in a relaxed state when you're in bed - thus blankets.
                  Thanks for that.

I'll try a change of scenario as well and see if that makes a difference.

I really need to get a daybed

Comment

For radio stations, I use "InTune" radio:
                    - Calm Radio - Singing Bowls
                    - Peaceful Moments (forgot what this was though)
                    - Blue Heron Radio (Japanese instrumental)
                    - KKNE 940 (Traditional Hawaiian music)

Also: not exactly "downloadable" but... the paid version of the app allows you to record songs/programs you like, although they're only playable in the app.

I also use I-heart-radio, but not so much for any meditation or relaxation, although it's worth a try as well.

But for my regular music, stuff I've either downloaded directly or ripped from CD:
                    - Guided Meditation: Charles Thomas Cayce. Not sure if this is available or not; I bought it directly from Edgar Cayce's "A.R.E." center in VA Beach a few years ago.

- Golden Spa Tones: Dean Evenson & Walter Makichen. Pretty much what the title says - "singing bowls". Rather pretty really.

- Winds Over the World: Hemi-Synch / Monroe Products*
                    - Between Worlds: Hemi-Synch / Monroe Products

*Hemi-Synch IIRC is the original "binaural beat" product. Although they do have stuff that's just the tones, they also have stuff that's actually music. (winds is a favorite of mine, especially for sleeping).

- Oh and I can't forget... David Lanz.
                    Although it's not really "guided medication" I do find his piano music to be rather relaxing, which can, rather, do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X