This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• positive thoughts request

*Some aspects of this situation are more appropriate for Fratching, so I'm not going into all the details, just would really appreciate any/all positive thoughts and prayers*

Basically....my daughter came to me this morning with a concern about being a few days late on her period starting. She's never been regular with that, and does tend to get paranoid about things, so at this point I don't know if there's a reason to be concerned. (I'm really hoping and praying that there isn't)

What I DO know is that my mom has said in the past that if this particular situation ever came up, I would have to handle it on my own......particularly the financial aspect.

If she's never been regular, I would say not to be too concerned yet. There could be things that are stressing her out and delaying it, or since she's never been regular, it could just be that. If it takes too much longer to show up, then I'd worry.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts though and hoping there is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Crossing my fingers for a happy ending.

Most times it's false alarm, especially with teenagers. I don't think you need to worry a lot yet.

Comment

Fingers crossed.
        I wouldn't overly worry yet. I for one was irregular as a teenager - esp. my senior year due to stress and a large weight loss.
        Also, is she hanging out with a new group of girls? When I moved into an all-girl dorm most of us were irregular for a few months while we all syncronized.

Comment

*hugs* and thoughts your way.

I'd also agree with the don't worry too much (unless she has real reasons to believe it is the case of course! In which case a 'talk' is probably due again).

I've had 5 scares in the last two years - 4 of them *knowing* that there was no way it could be anything apart from my body going insane again. If I'd tracked it this closely when I was a teenager I would have gone crazy from the worry.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

*hugs* Mine disappeared for nearly 2 years when I was a teenager and then the cycles were anything between 28-42 days long, so hopefully it's just her body being weird. I'd pick up a pregnancy test (or two) for her to use first thing in the morning, and some vitamins just in case. I've found that every time I'm late, my period arrives the morning after a negative test.
            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
              *hugs* Mine disappeared for nearly 2 years when I was a teenager and then the cycles were anything between 28-42 days long, so hopefully it's just her body being weird. I'd pick up a pregnancy test (or two) for her to use first thing in the morning, and some vitamins just in case. I've found that every time I'm late, my period arrives the morning after a negative test.
              Mine did too! I wondered if I was freaking out too much to let the period start hehe. Hugs for you both. I hated being a teenager with that unpredictable stuff. Super hug from me to her.
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Thanks much for the responses.....made me feel a lot better! I also forgot to mention that Heather is on the pill, and she has some issues with anxiety/stress, so hopefully that's all it is.

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                  If she's never been regular, I would say not to be too concerned yet. There could be things that are stressing her out and delaying it, or since she's never been regular, it could just be that. If it takes too much longer to show up, then I'd worry.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts though and hoping there is nothing to worry about.
                  This.

When I was in my sophomore year at college I completely stopped having my period.

My mother brought me into the OB/GYN and the doctor gave Mom "that look" - the one that says "you're living in a fantasy world if you think your daughter isn't pregnant"... well until she gave me the exam that is. (and pretty much realized I really was the virgin I was claiming to be).

Doc's answer: don't worry about it. (well until I want to have kids that is)

also on an interesting note, i too was irregular. however i found out that being with my boyfriend actually helped regulate my cycle. (ahem)

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                    Basically....my daughter came to me this morning with a concern about being a few days late on her period starting. She's never been regular with that, and does tend to get paranoid about things, so at this point I don't know if there's a reason to be concerned.
                    Could be something, could be nothing. Most women are irregular in the first year of their menstrual cycle, and for longer if they are very athletic, or very overweight. The birth control could also contribute to that in some cases, depending on the type, though it often can make an irregular period regular (I took it for awhile for that very reason, because I was skipping periods for no reason). And stress will affect the cycle, too.

Have her do a home pregnancy test. If it is positive, see your physician for a follow up test (home pregnancy tests are pretty reliable, but are wrong every now and again). If it's still positive . . . well. At least then you'll know, and then you can decide how to proceed from there. If you're in the US, it may make her eligible for Medicaid, if you don't have insurance. It depends on your state.

If the irregularity persists beyond the first year of her cycle, she should see an OB GYN just to be on the safe side. She may need another type of BC, or she may need to learn to manage her stress better. Regardless of cause, don't ignore it.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

As a quick update.....I've since found out that a few weeks before I'd posted this thread, Heather DID have a period, but it was only like a day or two. We've also done a home pregnancy test, and the results were negative, so for now it's looking like there isn't anything to worry about.

Comment

Glad to hear it. Those little 'mini' ones always used to freak me out as a teen.
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                        X