This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dieing for a lift

Another week gone, and once again I'm driving them around while they drive me up the wall.

Bugrit!

We have an older gentleman as a regular. He is usually quite pleasant to talk to and happily pays his fair without complaint or argument. Ideal customer right? Sure, but for two major flaws.

First, when you're not talking to him, he sits in the back seat and mutters to himself. Not the muttering of someone trying to remember something, but a nonsensical rambling or random words strung together. He doesn't have any mental disorder, he just mutters.

The second, and by far the biggest issue, is the smell. The guy has not changed his clothes in six months and has been nowhere near a shower in that time. It is a smell that is difficult to describe, a dreadful mix of BO, pee, assorted stale alcoholic drinks and something alien which defies belief. A usual trip starts with your nose shrieking and shutting down when he gets in the taxi. After a few minutes it will start to run, presumably because it can't run away. By the time I drop him off my eyes are watering and I can start to smell it through my ears.

Needless to say, we drive the taxi with the windows down and spray everything with disinfectant spray after that

Then, why did you call?

Me: Bugarup Taxi
    SC: Hi, Could I get a taxi to [address]?
    Me: Sure, on my way

Get to the address, no SC. So after waiting the usual five minutes, I move on with the next fare. Half an hour later, the phone rings, and it's SC again

SC: Hi, Could I get a taxi to [address]?
    Me: I was around there about half an hour ago, and nobody came out. Is that the correct address?
    SC: Yeah that's right. We're here right now
    Me: Ok, I'll be there in a few minutes

Once again I get to the address, nobody comes out. By this point I'm getting annoyed. I run on a three strike system; you stand me up three times, and you forfeit your taxi privileges for the day. For most people this isn't a problem. Sometimes they get held up by a phone call or whatever and don't meet the taxi the first time. Twice is pushing it but hey, these things happen. Miss it three times and you are either a prank caller, an idiot or too drunk to move. I know that SC will call again, and sure enough, half an hour later...

SC: Could I get a taxi to [address]?
    Me: I've been round there twice now and nobody came out
    SC: Oh yeah, yeah. We'll be out on the footpath this time.
    Me: [Internal sigh] Ok, I'm on my way. But if you're not there this time I will not be coming back

So for the third and final time I head to the address. Lo and behold, the SC is there ready for his ride. Once he was in and we were moving I asked him about the first two calls.

SC: Oh, I wasn't ready to go, so I don't bother coming out.

Just tell me!

Look, I'm flattered, really. I see what you're trying to do and am not interested. Can you please tell me where you want to go? No, quit staring at me like I'm the most beautiful man on earth, I just want to know where you want to go. An eyebrow waggle is not a valid answer, nor is a furtive wink. The first turn is up ahead, so is it left or right? Just, no. I am not interested. No you can't touch me. Yes, you are creeping me out.

He gave me the address... eventually.
    No, I don't swing that way.

I'm Dieing! I demand special treatment!

I hinted at this story last week. A bit of background before we get into this one. During the summer, Bugarup can reach some quite insane temperatures, as such, locals know how to deal with it. Drink lots of water, stay out of direct sun, avoid heavy labor, ect.

Also, as a small town service, we only have a few taxis and drivers. Usually we have one or two cabs running about and if it get busy people may have to wait a short time for us to get to them. Normally, people understand and have no problem with it. But we don't deal with normal on this site, do we? (/background)

It was a sunny summer day. I was running fares in the town on my own at that point. I get a call for a pickup from the lake. On average, this run takes about 15 minutes and is one of the biggest fares we get that we consider "in town". Not a problem, I start heading out. I get another call just as I get onto the main street

SC: I need a cab at pub!
    Me: Not a problem. I have one person ahead of you so I'll be there in about 15 minutes.
    SC: (mumblegrumble) fine. (Hangs up)

People we pick up from that pub tend to be a bit surly, so I think nothing of it and continue on my way. Two minutes later, I get another call. It's a Well Meaning Bystander (WMB)

Me: Bugarup Taxi
    WMB: Hi, I'm at the pub, did you just receive a call from an older man here?
    Me: Yes, I'm still about ten minutes away
    WMB: Well, he's just collapsed in the parking lot from heatstroke and wants the taxi now. He's refusing an ambulance and just wants to go home. Are you able to come now?

As I was still fairly new at the job, I turned the cab around and headed to the pub. Figuring I'll take him home or, if he's in bad shape, straight to the hospital and waive the fair. (We do that sometimes for people who are sick or injured, victims of violence who need to get out of there right away, ect. ) When I get there, I find the SC sitting in the shade, with several people around him, he wobbles a bit and looks feint. I recognise this SC. He's lived in Bugarup his whole life and knows the dangers of the summer. Still, heatstroke can still strike anyone, especially those who have been drinking. One of the group sees me pull in and waves me over. It's WMB.

Me: Hi, how is he?
    WMB: He's a bit woozy but he seems to be ok. We offered him water but he dosn't want it.
    Me: Ok, I know where he lives but it will probably be better if I...
    *SLAM!*

While we were talking, the SC has stood up suddenly, strode over to the taxi without a single wobble or misstep, climbed in and slammed the door.

SC: It's about time you got here! Take me home!

WMB and I stared at him, then at each other, then at the group of gobsmacked people, then at each other again. The SC was fine, nothing at all wrong with him. He was faking an attack of heatstroke. Unsure of what else to do, I took him home. He was ranting and complaining the entire time.

SC: Why did it take you so long to get here! You advertise as a 24 hour service, that means I can get a taxi whenever I want! Rargablargle!

At least he paid with fair without argument. After that I made it out to the lake, but the customers there had gone.

You Broke my Manager!

Back again to the days at the Big Apple. I had a lot of managers in my time there, ranging from Super-Awesome to dumber-than-a sack-of-mushrooms. This story happened to my Super Awesome Manager, C. He was relieving me for lunch and running customer service. It is important to note that I gave him the front end keys when I left.

A customer is ringing out their groceries and pays for their groceries without issue. Then, she looks at her purse, at the floor around her, then starts clawing at the conveyor belt. The perplexed cashier, P, Asks what the matter is. Apparently, the conveyor belt had a $50 note on it, with was sucked into the gap at the end of the belt. this was a frequent occurrence, with things getting sucked down that crack ending up on the floor below the counter or occasionally in the cabinet under the belt. P looks, no 50. The SC is still searching around so she waves C over.

C: I'm sorry Ma'am but it looks like the money isn't here. Could it be anywhere else?
    SC: No, It went down there! I saw it go down there! It must have been pulled right under the belt!

While these cabinets did have a small, hard to reach are under the conveyor, the odds of anything getting pulled into it are tiny. A piece of paper, or indeed a bank note could do it, but it would have to be pressed into something sticky and somehow avoid being scraped off by all the guards, wires and assorted other obstacles under the counter. In the case the belt was so clean it sparkled. P had declared war on all things sticky long ago and kept her checkout spotlessly clean. Still, C had to take the SC's complaint seriously, and began to search for the lost 50.

I returned from lunch around this point, and found an odd scene waiting for me. C was on his knees, rummaging around under the counter. Assorted tools and pieces of the counter and conveyor were scattered around him. A crowd of customers had gathered to see what was going on, with P trying to move them on to other checkouts. Over it all stood SC, catbutting so hard her face was in danger of collapsing into a black hole made of super compressed entitlement. I hurried to sign in and came back to the registers in time to see C stand up

C: I'm sorry Ma'am, but I've searched the whole register and can't find it anywhere.
    SC: No! It has to be there, I saw it, I SAW IT!
    C: Oh Cranky, you're back. Here's your keys.

I take the keys and pocket them. Unconsciously, the SC also slips her hand into her pocket. She stopped arguing and broke into a big grin.

Sc: Oh! here it is. It was in my pocket his whole time

And with that, she flounced out. Yes, flounced. I looked at C and his face had gone stiff. It's odd to see someone else brain going into a BSOD.

C: Cranky, could you please put the register back together? I'll be in my office.

t took most of the afternoon to get everything cleaned up. C didn't come out of his office for an hour, though I could hear him banging his head on the wall every time I walked past. And did the SC thank us or apologise? You can probably guess.

More next week!

Wow, you actually had Foul Ol' Ron in your taxi!! My sympathies.

The rest of those people....were idiots.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Cranky Cabbie View Post
      The second, and by far the biggest issue, is the smell. The guy has not changed his clothes in six months and has been nowhere near a shower in that time. It is a smell that is difficult to describe, a dreadful mix of BO, pee, assorted stale alcoholic drinks and something alien which defies belief. A usual trip starts with your nose shrieking and shutting down when he gets in the taxi. After a few minutes it will start to run, presumably because it can't run away. By the time I drop him off my eyes are watering and I can start to smell it through my ears.

Needless to say, we drive the taxi with the windows down and spray everything with disinfectant spray after that
      I have a semi-regular a bit like that. (Another cabbie here, btw. Visited Aus, too, back in early '97 -- Fremantle, Perth, and Syndey.) This woman REEKS of urine. She has at least 3 kids, and none of them seem to notice that their mom stinks.

Yeah, windows down the whole trip, regardless of weather, and Lysol + Febreeze as soon as I drop her off and round a convenient corner.

SC: Oh, I wasn't ready to go, so I don't bother coming out.
      There's one fellow (never actually driven him so can't call him a customer) who I've been called to pick up three times -- a week apart -- and never answers his door, even though I spend several minutes cop-knocking on his door and calling. (Hell, one time I heard his clothes dryer running. I knew he had been home within the previous hour... why doesn't he ever answer the damn door?!)

When he pops up in my terminal nowadays, I call dispatch and tell them that I refuse to go there any more. Let some other sucker waste their time with him. (Yes, dispatch, I have no problem with that $2 "refused to act on accepted call" fee. I'll make it back in about 30 seconds anyway.)

During the summer, Bugarup can reach some quite insane temperatures, as such, locals know how to deal with it. Drink lots of water, stay out of direct sun, avoid heavy labor, ect.
      Might I ask how hot it gets in your area? In my city (Phoenix, Arizona, USA) it gets up to around 120F/48.9C most years (this year and last year we "only" got up to 118F/47.8C) and have people out doing heavy labor in the sun anyway. Government employees, even.

He was faking an attack of heatstroke.
      [...]
      At least he paid with fair without argument.
      Don't you wish there was a "charge double" button on the meter?
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Another week gone, and once again I'm driving them around while they drive me up the wall.
        Any chance you can refuse to take any calls from these twits, at least for the foreseeable future? The one guy is a waste of your time and gas and I have no use at all for people who fake medical emergencies to get special treatment ... especially since it cost you another fare.
        Last edited by Ree; 01-19-2013, 05:36 AM. Reason: Trimmed excessive quote

Comment

Over it all stood SC, catbutting so hard her face was in danger of collapsing into a black hole made of super compressed entitlement.
          I love that sentence. It reminds me of Neil Gaiman's writings. :-) I am sorry, however, that you had the unfortunate experience of actually seeing it! The stupid was strong in that SC.
          Last edited by Ree; 01-19-2013, 05:38 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Comment

Ahoy from a fellow ex-apple employee!

We had the occasional bill go under the counter. The thing is though, you're right in that unless it was incredibly sticky, once it goes under the "flap" it tends to float in that little void.

Credit cards are harder to fish out than fifty dollar notes though. I believe it took a former manager of mine and my coworker about twenty minutes to fish out a ladies credit card (to her credit, she wasn't overly sucky about it) while for most fifties it took me about thirty seconds.m
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'd go with "one strike and you're out for the day, three and you're banned for a month"... ~_~ If he wasn't ready to ride, he shouldn't have called.
              Quoth Deserted View Post
              She has at least 3 kids, and none of them seem to notice that their mom stinks.
              They're probably used to it and think her aroma is normal.

Yeah, windows down the whole trip, regardless of weather, and Lysol + Febreeze as soon as I drop her off and round a convenient corner.
              Why wait? Do it as she watches; with any luck, she'll get insulted and she won't call on you again...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Quoth Deserted View Post
                She has at least 3 kids, and none of them seem to notice that their mom stinks.
                They're probably used to it and think her aroma is normal.
                ...or maybe they're so used to it that they just don't smell it (which is pretty much what I think).

Why wait? Do it as she watches; with any luck, she'll get insulted and she won't call on you again...
                The company I drive for is one of the largest in town. The fact that I have driven her a few times tells me that she probably uses the company quite a bit... and she seems to be the type that might very well call in a complaint. (Her complaining about me to the company once wouldn't have that much effect... but multiple complaints from the same passenger about the same driver? I'd probably get talked to, at the very least... but my co. is good to their drivers, and they'd certainly listen to my story before doing anything rash.)

Plus, her money is as good as anyone else's, even if I do spray it down with Lysol.

For now, I'll just hold my breath and share the agony. I would avoid her neighborhood, but she lives near one of the large shopping malls and near a Mal Wart... a very good area for me.
                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I'm Dieing! I demand special treatment!!
                  Shoulda taken him to the hospital anyway . . . for his own good.

Hey, he's "suffering from heatstroke", maybe he's not rational. Thinks he's ok, but he's really just raving. Gotta get him to medical attention fast, right?

Reminds me of this sequence:

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff400/fv00329.htm
                  http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff400/fv00340.htm
                  http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff400/fv00341.htm

and especially:

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff400/fv00343.htm

Comment

Burgit! Millennium hand and shrimp!
                    Go for the eyes!

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      Shoulda taken him to the hospital anyway . . . for his own good.

Hey, he's "suffering from heatstroke", maybe he's not rational. Thinks he's ok, but he's really just raving. Gotta get him to medical attention fast, right?

*snip*
                      I love it. You don't have to listen to his arguments for exactly that reason: "Sir, you said you were suffering from heatstroke. I can't take any chances. Here you are at ER and they'll look after you."

*drive off*

Comment

Quoth ackmeow View Post
                        Burgit! Millennium hand and shrimp!
                        I slewit the grawney man, I told 'em, I told 'em, matter of fact. Matter of fact, cabbages! I told 'em, bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          I slewit the grawney man, I told 'em, I told 'em, matter of fact. Matter of fact, cabbages! I told 'em, bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
                          It's for this reason I love this forum

As for the idiots in the post, the fake heatstroke guy has become a very good regular, but not a sign of an apology. If he tries it again though I'll be cancelling the call and sending an ambulance instead :P

As for the not ready yet time wasters? They've been screwing over some of the other drivers the same way. Now they get one chance and that's it. They miss that, then tough.

Comment

Working...
                          X