This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the urgent care

So because I got sick from the receptionist, I didn't do much of anything yesterday. Today I woke up more miserable than I did the day before and hauled my sick butt to the local urgent care.

There are a few others here coughing an sick too. A woman sitting on the other side of the room gave me the cat butt face because I dared to cough. I also just saw her leave and heard her tell the RN checking people in that she couldn't be in a place with all these sick people. Uh..okay, little miss sunshine.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Well, what did she expect at an urgent care especially this time of year?
    "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
      There are a few others here coughing an sick too. A woman sitting on the other side of the room gave me the cat butt face because I dared to cough. I also just saw her leave and heard her tell the RN checking people in that she couldn't be in a place with all these sick people. Uh..okay, little miss sunshine.
      I've had patients throw me this line. Now to be fair, if the patient has a cough, I will ask them to wear a mask.

Anything else, and I tell the SC that's what ERs are for: sick people, and that she doesn't have to stay if it bothers her so much.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        I've had patients throw me this line. Now to be fair, if the patient has a cough, I will ask them to wear a mask.
        Was I being a SC in this instance? A couple of weeks ago, I went along with my hubby to his appointment in the PTSD clinic at the VA. While we were waiting, one of the receptionists decided it was a good time to start wiping every surface down with disinfecting wipes. I have a bit of a chemical sensitivity issue and the more she was was wiping, the harder it got for me to breathe. After a minute or so, I started coughing and quickly got up and went into the hallway where the fumes weren't as strong until they had enough time to dissipate (and even doing that I still had a mild headache for several hours afterwards). The other receptionist working at the time, asked me if I wanted a mask and got kinda catbutt facey when I declined it. I wasn't sick, once I got far enough away, I wasn't coughing...but should I have taken the mask anyhow?

Comment

If they'd had any masks, I'd have worn one. They were out and the poor RN was running around trying to find more, but couldn't. I had my mouth covered with the tissue they'd provided, so it wasn't as if I was coughing with my mouth uncovered.

I mentioned it to the doctor when I finally did see him and he said that it boggled his mind how entitled people think they are and did she not realize we're in the cold and flu season?

That being said - acute bronchitis, but viral, but I did get antibiotics for my ear that looks like it's in the beginning stages of an infection (it had been bothering me last night). I did get two different cough medicines, one for daytime, one for night.

I did feel sorry for the lady who went in and had to leave for the ER. She slipped on ice while getting her paper this morning and it appears she broke her shoulder/humerous. She was in good spirits about it, and I helped her out to her car with her husband. I felt so sorry for her. It sucks having a broken anything.
          Last edited by fma_fanatic; 01-27-2013, 08:22 PM.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

"I'm sorry.. I assumed that since you are in an urgent care facility, you'd realize that we specialize in treating people who are too sick to wait for their normal GP/PCPs to see them."

After all, that's the definition of urgent care. Not bad enough for the ER, but bad enough that waiting for the doc will make things worse. I've had times where I couldn't wait the two days for my doc to see me, but, I am lucky that instead of urgent care, there's a convenient care clinic that takes ONLY walk-ins nearby.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

We don't have urgent care centers around here. If you can't wait to see your PCP you go to the ER. As for that lady, it's clod and flu season, you're going to see coughing people in urgent care, doctor's offices, and possibly even the ER.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                We don't have urgent care centers around here. If you can't wait to see your PCP you go to the ER. As for that lady, it's clod and flu season, you're going to see coughing people in urgent care, doctor's offices, and possibly even the ER.
                You see people coughing in the ER as well, as I noticed 2 1/2 weeks ago when I went. And I do recall at least one person wearing a mask as well. Local hospitals have a rule in place currently that prohibit persons under 12 from coming to the hospital b/c the flu has been so widespread in our area lately (unless, of course, they are being seen in the ER.)
                Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 01-27-2013, 09:25 PM.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Deevil View Post
                  Was I being a SC in this instance? While we were waiting, one of the receptionists decided it was a good time to start wiping every surface down with disinfecting wipes. I have a bit of a chemical sensitivity issue and the more she was was wiping, the harder it got for me to breathe. The other receptionist working at the time, asked me if I wanted a mask and got kinda catbutt facey when I declined it. I wasn't sick, once I got far enough away, I wasn't coughing...but should I have taken the mask anyhow?
                  No, you weren't being sucky at all. While the receptionists couldn't have known you had a sensitivity, the correct response should have been, "we're so sorry about that, are you OK," followed by putting the wipes away. Getting the fresh air was probably more beneficial than a mask would have been. She also should have gotten a nurse to check you out and make sure you weren't having an asthma attack from it, and also asked the patients waiting if anyone had a sensitivity to chemicals before she started wiping stuff down.

Quoth Akasa View Post
                  As for that lady, it's clod and flu season,
                  While I'm sure this is not what you meant to say, it's oddly appropriate . . . .
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Clod and ful season.

Comment

Quoth Deevil View Post
                      Was I being a SC in this instance? A couple of weeks ago, I went along with my hubby to his appointment in the PTSD clinic at the VA. While we were waiting, one of the receptionists decided it was a good time to start wiping every surface down with disinfecting wipes. I have a bit of a chemical sensitivity issue and the more she was was wiping, the harder it got for me to breathe. After a minute or so, I started coughing and quickly got up and went into the hallway where the fumes weren't as strong until they had enough time to dissipate (and even doing that I still had a mild headache for several hours afterwards). The other receptionist working at the time, asked me if I wanted a mask and got kinda catbutt facey when I declined it. I wasn't sick, once I got far enough away, I wasn't coughing...but should I have taken the mask anyhow?
                      It would have only helped you cover the cough - but if you were already doing that, then the mask would be moot.

Or just tell them, "Thanks but I'm not sick; I just can't breathe because of that cleaner you're using. I'll just wait over here for them to finish."

Comment

I've found that masks actually help filter the air I'm breathing in; as well as what I'm breathing out.

If they're fine enough to keep the particles that carry bacteria from escaping a cough, they're often fine enough to at least reduce the incoming fumes from (insert smelly thing here).

I often wear a mask when outside in pollen season, for instance.

That said: I would recommend that when going to urgent care for any reason, you bring your own mask/s. Disposable ones can be had from a pharmacy for cheap, and possibly even from a $2 shop or equivalent. Washable ones (usually a fine silk weave, or fine silk covered in protective cotton) are more expensive, but IMO much more comfortable.

Yes, masks are most helpful when on the people coughing/sneezing out the particles, but they do help protecti you from incoming as well.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                        X