This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMV license suspension Fubar "you owe $00.00"

Roomate got pulled-over last night for a burned-out taillight. Officer ran his license and found it was suspended for failure to pay a ticket in another state several years ago.

Only roommate had received a letter a while back regarding this ticket. He had moved and forgotten about it. It was sent to collections, with a notice to pay it by X date or his license would be suspended and he would have to pay to have it reinstated after paying off the fine. He paid the fine waaayyy before X date but, for some reason, included the cost of reinstating it just in case. But, apparently the local DMV suspended his license anyway for failure to pay.

The officer pulled-up the paperwork and it showed the outstanding balance that roommate had to pay on the fine….$00.00. Roomate told the officer that he wouldn’t have purposefully driven on a suspended license and that he had paid the fine. After seeing the ‘amount’ owed, the officer believed him, and allowed roommate to call someone to drive his car home.

I wonder if by including payment for reinstatement, it flagged his license as having been suspended for a required period of time. He has to wait until tomorrow to call and try and get this straightened out. It’s obviously not a matter of communication between the collections and DMV since their records show he’s paid in full. But technically, he still has a ticket. He’ll have to pay to go to court to show that his license never should have been suspended, and won’t be getting that money back. So he’ll have to shell out hundreds of dollars for a computer error.

Oh, this is fantastic because I am now the only person in the household with a valid license. Guess who gets to play taxi driver now with a 16yo car that could go at any moment?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Ugh, our DMV is still processing title requests from December. I got pulled over 2 weeks ago because he ran my plate and it didn't match the car I was driving, as the change hadn't been processed yet. They were still on Dec. 13th, and this was January 16th. I had forgotten to grab whatever paperwork I had and put it in the car, so he could've ticketed me but gave me a warning. Our DMV is slooooow.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
    X