This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off in their own little world

The following is an exchange that occurrs often. No, it doesn't involve an SC, but it's still bloody annoying.

Cashier: *waits for customer to put their card in the machine*
    Customer: *stares out the window*
    Cashier: Please can you put your card in?
    (Repeat, sometimes several times)
    Customer: Um, do you want me to put my card in?

-.- No, I want you to shove it up your arse. This changes sometimes, with customers on the phone, or just distracted by a shiny thing. Funnily enough, I have NEVER had a deaf customer do this; and if anyone has an excuse it's someone who's deaf. Not someone who's just off in their own little world.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

That's probably because deaf people need to be looking directly at you in order to catch anything you say and so have trained themselves to always be paying attention when a transaction is going on, whereas "hearing" people have trained themselves to "ignore" noise they don't want to hear. (For example, you're in a noisy place but you can focus on your conversation and not hear anyone else's. Musicians have this in spades because they have to be able to focus on the conductor and hear the sound of their own instrument over the others.)

So hearing people tune you out without realizing it thinking they won't miss anything, but deaf people know they will miss important information if they aren't at full attention.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      That's probably because deaf people need to be looking directly at you in order to catch anything you say and so have trained themselves to always be paying attention when a transaction is going on, whereas "hearing" people have trained themselves to "ignore" noise they don't want to hear. (For example, you're in a noisy place but you can focus on your conversation and not hear anyone else's. Musicians have this in spades because they have to be able to focus on the conductor and hear the sound of their own instrument over the others.)

So hearing people tune you out without realizing it thinking they won't miss anything, but deaf people know they will miss important information if they aren't at full attention.
      And machinists, I play clarinet and spent 9 years as a machinsit, I can ignore kids playing kazoo while holding a conversation and watching TV
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        ... a machinsit, I can ignore kids...
        You watch little robots?

(As JRRT said of the delay of LotR: ten-fingered typing was beyond him.)
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
        X