This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so ends the 9-year streak

For the past 9 years, I've managed to avoid and evade the OR. This is the second-longest I've gone without having a surgery (13 years is still the record). This coming Friday, though, that surgery-free streak will be broken. The exact details of why I need the surgery are kinda gross, so I'm not going to go into it here. XD If you really want to know, PM me.

It's not life-threatening, though, and will probably the second-least-major surgery I've had next to having my wisdom teeth removed. On the one hand, I'm bummed. On the other, it definitely could be worse. At least it's not a shunt revision.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

I hope things go well Friday, and you have a speedy recovery.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Good luck! I hope everything goes well. January 18 was actually the 14 year anniversary of my first operation, and February 1 will be the 14 year anniversary of my second one.

I'm kinda curious as to what your operation is for (future nursing student here, so not grossed out easily).

I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Comment

*hugs*

Good luck. The only surgeries I've had were fairly gross (emergency colostomy from ruptured intestine followed by ostomy reversal), and I had to deal with some pretty awful situations in regards to them. So if you need a shoulder to cry on, feel free to hit me up here or on facebook.
        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Thanks all. *huge hugs* Just took care of the pre-op Q&A session with the surgery center an hour ago.

Honestly, what I'm looking the least forward to is the whole 'No food after midnight' part. XD Makes me glad that this is being done before noon and not at, say, 1 PM.
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Good luck! I hope you feel better after you recover from surgery.

Comment

Good luck with your surgery and sending wishes for a speedy recovery.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Had the surgery yesterday, and it wasn't too bad. I honestly don't remember even getting sleepy when they ran the anesthesia through the IV. O.o I closed my eyes for what felt like 30 seconds and, next thing, I'm waking up in the recovery room and having to be told twice that it was already over. And then, before I was discharged from the surgery center, I had food. Granted, it was graham crackers and grape juice, but it was yummy all the same.

Comment

Not to be mean but it's not a streak, it's stalling the inevitable.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    Not to be mean but it's not a streak, it's stalling the inevitable.
                    XD With my medical history? Yeah, pretty much. I made no fewer than 2 people at the surgery center (including my anesthesiologist) go '' at the list of how many surgeries I've had (10 not counting this most-recent one).

Comment

And so things get weirder. O.o What began as a ruptured cyst has now turned into a concern that my shunt is broken. I had shunt X-Ray today, ordered by my doctor, and the results made even the radiology tech go 'O.o'. Where the tubing should be near my abdominal cavity, it isn't. And where it shouldn't be, much further down past intestine level, it apparently is.

Now, according to what my dad read up on, it's not entirely uncommon for a piece of the shunt to break off and slide down. We just don't know how the hell it happened, but dad thinks it might've happened sometime during my spinal fusion a few years ago. Also, we're all pretty sure that this is what caused all the trouble to begin with.
                      Last edited by firecat88; 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X