This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Nurses - re: Thanking

So my mom was recently in a hospital out of state. I flew out and saw her for a couple of days and met some of her nurses. Unfortunately my mom got worse after I left and died while being transferred to a larger hospital for surgery.

I wanted to thank the nurses who took amazingly good care of my mom (and put up with calls from me when I wasn't there) but don't know how or what I should do.

I only met a couple of them and I unfortunately don't remember everyone's name. Do I just send a card addressed to the nurses of the critical care unit? Before she was in that unit she was on the 6th floor and had several nurses there. The only one I know is Joy, who called me in the middle of the night to tell me my mom had to be moved to Critical care. Do I address a card to her separately (I don't know her last name)? Should I send chocolates as a thank you?

Any advice would be appreciated!
    A crisis is a problem you can't control. Drama is a problem you can, but won't. - Otter

Send a heart-felt note.

It can be written into a card, or on pretty paper. It can be typed up and printed out from a computer.

You're literate, and the words you said to us show clearly that you appreciate their work. Just .. say it to them, in your own words.

You can say something like 'I never even knew most of your names, just Joy, who called me to tell me Mum was being moved to Critical Care; and <person>, who <did something>. But every time I visited Mum, I could tell you were taking good care of her. She seemed peaceful and happy; the sheets were clean, the room smelled nice, you always smiled at me when I came in and told me how she had been...'

Of course, those are my words, and those are things I might have noticed. (Did notice, when I was visiting my Nan, at the end.)

You can accompany your note with flowers, or chocolates, or three or four gift vouchers for the local pizza place (and a note saying it's one for each shift). Anything you can think of that might be appreciated.

But the bit that will be stuck on the noticeboard till the paper has yellowed is the note you send.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.

Send a note addressed to the manager of each unit, even just "manager of 6C" or "manager of ICU." One of my patients sent an email to the hospital system CEO because he couldn't figure out how else to contact me. Most hospitals around here provide recognition/incentives/points on your eval if management gets something like that. Nurses treasure thank you notes, but sending it to management may mean they'll get more recognition.

Nurses love food and coffee. A gift card to a local place that delivers will be appreciated, as will a delivery of chocolate/fruit/deli trays/anything edible.

Comment

Hell, if you feel like it, send notes to both management and the nursing stations.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My condolences on your loss.

I think it's great you want to thank these nurses, and I'm sure they'll appreciate any gesture at all. A fruit tray, or candy plus a card for the entire unit is a great thank you. A letter to management naming whomever you can remember, and mentioning those you can't, will go over well.

I'm sure your mother would appreciate the effort you're taking to thank the people who helped her. It's very thoughtful.

My best wishes and prayers are with you in this difficult time.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
          X