This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An excellent article..

I did a search and could not find anything, so I am posting this link because a lot of people on this site can relate.

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/14...save-the-world
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Quoth Mytical View Post
    I did a search and could not find anything, so I am posting this link because a lot of people on this site can relate.

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/14...save-the-world
    It is an excellent article.

Reading through the comments is interesting too. Many have their own war stories to share. A few who do not see anything wrong with the system are arguing vehemently for keeping it this way, and getting many, many responses why they are wrong.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I am one of apparently few non-food service workers [though I have put my time in back in the day] that thinks it would be freaking wonderful to change to a system where the staff are paid a real wage, and don't have an issue with the price of eating to go up. I normally tip well, and count it as part of the cost of eating out.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

It'll take a change on the culture that's set up.

Australians do not tip, but the wages for food service workers are something like $15-$20 per hour. (probably less than that if you're under 18, where it might be more like $10) Depending on where you go, food varies in price anywhere from $5 at McDonalds for a medium cheeseburger value meal to around $30 for a steak at TGI Fridays.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. My dad worked as a manager at a BBQ restaurant for almost ten years. I grew up hearing customer horror stories. I remember there was a restaurant we used to frequent. We were such regulars that we knew the names of all the employees. It wasn't hard for us to pick out someone new. My dad would let them rant to him whenever they needed it. He told me he always at least tipped 10%, even if the service was terrible. And it was for exactly the reasons in this article. I've noticed I've started to take after him, not losing my shit if something went wrong, and putting in a good tip, no matter how bad the service was. I guess the stories I heard from my dad, Customers Suck, and articles like this have had that kind of effect.
          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Yes. Very good read.

Thanks for sharing, Mytical.

Mike
            Meow.........

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
              He told me he always at least tipped 10%, even if the service was terrible. And it was for exactly the reasons in this article. I've noticed I've started to take after him, not losing my...
              That's how I view food service as well. I tend to overlook small issues.

Like today they made the wrong burger for our dog but caught it before they served it. no big deal. we were in a good mood and the lady (actually the manager) working the counter was fun to talk with.

Quoth fireheart View Post
              It'll take a change on the culture that's set up.

Australians do not tip, but the wages for food service workers are something like $15-$20 per hour. (probably less than that if you're under 18, where it might be more like $10) Depending on where you go, food varies in price anywhere from $5 at McDonalds for a medium cheeseburger value meal to around $30 for a steak at TGI Fridays.
              Japan is the same way. Closer to the base you'll find establishments that understand what tipping is, but the further away from foreigners you get the more you'll be more to get a look if you try it.

One of the E6s I met when first there said he actually had a server chase him down to return the extra ¥ thinking he'd left money behind by accident.

Comment

Working...
              X